Upside Down

The little girl was holding on to the jagged remains of a door. She was doing the best she could to stay above water but the current was too strong for her small body. I close my eyes for a second.

What would Miss Vi do?

I jump out of the lifeboat and splash painfully into the debris filled water. The Red Cross volunteer in the boat yells after me but I don't pay attention. As I'm swimming over to the girl, I feel a piece of glass slice through my waterlogged hoodie and scrape across my arm. I keep swimming.

When I'm close enough to the girl, I yell over the sound of my water, "Jump into my arms! I'll catch you!"

"I don't want to let go!" the girl's high-pitched voice calls back.

"Look, do you want to die?!"

I feel a small weight plop into the water next to me. I quickly pick her up before she can sink or float away. Her pudgy arms wrap around my neck and her legs dig into my sides as I swim back to where I left the boat. It was nowhere to be found. I heave a big sigh.

"What's your name?" I ask the girl on my back.

I feel her mouth move on my neck, "Bree Winters. "

"Okay, Bree, we're going to play 'I Spy'. Look for a house—or anything, really, that goes higher than my head. Whoever finds one first, wins a cookie,"

She gasps, "I'm so winning that cookie."

•••

Arizona Reign has been through a lot more than your average teenage girl. She is an orphan who shares a room the size of a paperclip with three other girls. But, it could a whole lot worse.

Her life is turned upside down when a hurricane hits the state of Alabama. No one is prepared and thousands die. Ari is separated from the other girls from the orphanage and their caregiver, Miss Vi. With the help of a five year old girl, Bree, who she scooped up during her journey to get shelter, she could be one the lucky ones to survive. Join Ari and Bree in their fight to live.

•••

As you can see, I changed the description, title, and cover of this book. I'm not sure about the description but other than that, I'm quite proud of this book. I'm making a New Years Resolution to update every week. I won't specify a day because, that makes me feel way too pressured resulting in rushed, sloppy chapters.  I hope you enjoy this book! Have a great day.

🌞Abby🌞