Chapter 3

"What's that, over there?" We were at the shoreline, staring out at the waves. At first glance, I notinced nothing.
"What exactly are you pointing at?"
"There! By those rocks. What is that?" Lara was pointing at a seemingly typical bunch of rocks. I pulled out a small telescope and unshethed it. There, just visible behind the rocks, were a pair of arms waving wildly around, calling for help!
"Is that a--" but I did not hear Lara finish. I dove into the water and swam speedily toward the corals.
I pulled myself up, out of the water and called out. "Hello? Are you alright?" I reached the top of the rock. One might expect me to help pull the fair maiden that had been calling so desperately for help. The only thing was, she was not at all human.

I was staring at a beautiful woman, with a long, matted curtain of hair, green eyes and, most astounding of all, a fish's tail!
I almost forgot she was in trouble. Gingerly, I pulled her tail free from between the rocks.
"Thank you." She said in a voice that brought about goosebumps.
"N-no problem. What happened here, anyway?"
"I'll explain later. Get me on water, quickly." Still stunned, I carried the stranger and brought her down with infinite care. Her skin was as soft and delecate as snow.
"I haven't asked your name." She looked back at the question.
"No, you haven't." She dove into the water and back to the island from where I had come.
"Wait!" She was an excellent swimmer. Within seconds, she had reached the shoreline. I raced after her.
I did not see her do it, but once I reached ashore, she had apparently grown a pair of legs to take the place of her tail. She wore nothing but a silk shawl wrapped around her waist, in vibrant green and blue, exactly the same colors as was her tail.
"Captain!" Lara was running toward me. Then, at the sight of the stranger, she stopped.
"Greetings. My name is Calypso."
"Th-the Goddess of the sea?" I spluttered, joining the scene. Lara continued to stare, transfixed.
"Yes. Though now in this... human prison."
"Who did this to you?" I stared at Calypso. It was hard to believe that this was the ruler of the sea, feared by all and as untamable as that which she commands.
"Who did this to you?" She seemed to flare up at my question, her shawl billowing in the unexpected gust of wind that came.
"Davy Jones." Lara and I exchanged stupified looks.
"When he was kidnapped, Lord Wendur came after me. I was decieved. And he imprisoned me in this body. Only one person could have told him how."
"Your husband," Lara had regained her voice. She was looking at Caypso with dawning comprehension,
"Davy Jones. He told Wendur how to lock you in your bones."
"You've met him? Is he still alive? Tell me he is still alive!" Another, stronger gust of wind blew. That was when she saw it.
"The Medallion. The King's Medallion. Where did you get it?"
"Let us expl--"
"Where is David Jonas?!" Her eyes seemed to glow red, her face contorted with fury. Lara pushed past me, charging at the widow, sword held aloft.
"Wait!" I shouted over the whistling of the wind in my ears. I stepped closer to Calypso, wind whipping my face.
"We did not kill your husband!"
"But you have the Medallion. Why?"
Stepping in, Lara said,
"He gave it to us. He entrusted us to gather all the Treasures. We aim to prevent the prophecy from happening!"
"Lies! He is not dead!" But her eyes were welling up now. The once beautiful face now showed great sorrow. The winds died out as she collapsed onto the sand, face in her hands.
"I am truly sorry to have to tell you. Your husband fought bravely to keep the Pirate Lord at bay." Lara tried her best to console the now widowed Goddess weeping at her feet.
She mumbled something. Maybe a word of thanks. Then again--
She looked up suddenly. Fear now creeped up her face like a shadow.
"The Dutchman." Neither of us was quite sure what she had said.
"Beg pardon?"
"The Flying Dutchman. Its Captain is dead. They'll come for you now." She said, horrified.
And the screaming started.