Chapter 6

"I know what I want. I know what I want." I said repeatedly. I opened the compass with twitchy fingers. It pointed nowhere in particular at all.
"I don't know what I want." I sighed, put down the compass and stretched.

It was sunset. And the crew was just finishing off the last of the rum served for dinner. I was alone in my study, brooding over what Calypso had said earlier that day. I was so preoccupied of the day's happenings that I did not notice Lara step into the room. She cleared her throat.
"Captain?" I looked up at her greeting.
"Evening, Lara. You've eaten your fill, I hope?"
"Yes, indeed I have. I wanted to speak to you about what happened earlier today."
"I know what you mean," I said knowlegebly, "isn't it exciting?"
"No, it isn't Frankie! You have no idea what dangers lie ahead! You won't survive a day in the real dangers of the sea!" Taken aback by her outburst, I stared at her.
"Lara, of course I won't be able to. Not without you there with me. You think me indifferent to the fact that I now have responsibilities to uphold. I now have the knowledge of my father's true allegiance. I am frightened out of my wits more than I let on."
I was on my feet now, advancing on Lara with indignation.
"You still don't understand. My parents died in the hands of pirates. I don't want the same fate to befall you."
"I'm sorry, but I don't fear death. As long as my crew is with me in the end. Are you with me?"
"Of course," she said, relenting, "like you said, you won't last ten minutes without me, or this crew." Finally, she smiled. I was glad we had reached an agreement.
"I guess," Lara continued, "I just wanted to see my parents again so bad, and you reminded me so much of them."
"Indeed. As do I." Then it struck me. "That's it."
"What's it?" I made for the door in haste, walking unsteadily on the rocking study. Lara followed.
"I need your help." Incredulous, Lara stepped up to the mast.
"You said that all you wanted to do was to see your family again, right?"
"Yes, I did say that."
"And they supposedly died at sea, right?"
"What is this about, Frankie?"
I need you to think of them. Your family. What you want most in the world.
She closed her eyes in focus. Handing her the compass, I looked away from it quickly.
"Okay, now look at the compass and give us a heading." Looking down, she pointed a finger northeast.
"Lara."
"Yes?"
"Lead the way." I bowed out of her way.
"Really?" Grinning, she took the helm and gave the order.
"All hands, make sail! The wind is on our side, boys! That's all we need! On your feet, befor I throw you overboard!" I looked reproachfully at her.
"Sorry. Too much?"

Faster we went. Rain was pouring down harder and harder on us as we sailed further, our course set.
Then, amid claps of thunder and flashes of lightning, Stanley, up at the crow's nest, yelled.
"Waterfall ahead!" The men were panicked now, running about in fear and leaving their posts.
"Hold steady, men! This be the way true enough!" I stared at the compass in her hand. She was telling the truth.
"She's gonna crash! Abandon ship! Turn her around! Captain, orders!"
What with all the fuss that was happening, Lara was slowly losing her grit. She stared helplessly at me.

"This is the way! Let her run straight and true! Lara, keep going. This is what you want most. This is where we're going."
The fall was less than a dozen feet away now.
The men were now running a mock, holding onto anything they can for dear life.
A hysterical, almost mad, laugh escaped my throat. If my father could see me now.

"Welcome, gentlemen. To Davy Jones' Locker!"
And in we fell. Deeper and deeper, into the abyss below.