Chapter Nine - I

I remember scorching fire so powerful my integument blistered and melted in the raging inferno where my incondite prison did not protect me. The sick, hollow feeling as I freefell. Ice formed in the moist air, burning like acid on the wounds I had suffered. The impact was a blur of agony and exploding dirt. It rained down along with the broken remnants of the heat-mutated prison. Shattered chunks thumped on my abused body and around the crater.

I remember the native inhabitants as they surrounded me. The sun behind them caused their incarnadine flesh to glow pink.

The sun was on the opposite side of the sky. It seemed that I missed the night.

I heard their whispers. Their language was strange, unlike that which I knew. Their awe at my appearance drew my attention. They had never seen my like before. I knew then that I could use them.

Then one intrepid creature ventured down where I lay. It walked on my tortured carcass. I wanted to squish the tiny head for the pain, but I could not move.

Then something strange happened. Instauration occurred between us. This creature imbued me with its knowledge as I shared more. He was I; I was he. We became one in that moment.

He did not tell them of our bond. I knew that an inchoate idea had formed in his mind; an idea I fed him. His will was my will. I wanted free and he made it happen.

The bond gave him powers beyond any those puny mortal had ever seen. My gifts turned an insignificant being into a god among them. I became his instrument for domination. For a brief interstice, I let him use me.

Then he was gone through an internecine coup, and the leader of that coup took the bond. His rage filled me with joy. His wrath filled me with power. I fed him sick desires for destruction.

He was brought down, and another took his place. Then the interregnums became shorter as those who wanted my power were taken from me.
I had only begun to conquer the world, and I raged.

I remember the last rebellion. The city that became the epitome of power through me crumbled into dust in a blast of white light as if it had never been. I was incapacitated by the magnitude.

The survivors dragged me into the catacombs, burying me in the deepest pit. There I saw one last face as they dug into my chest.

I remember the feel of living flesh as blood pulsed rhythmically through its body. My mind wakened to darkness, but my heart was free in the world. It was far from me still, but it grew closer as I have urged it to do. It follows my commands like my first. It is strong and will serve me well.

My time is coming.