Chapter 18: Excuse Me?

Snow/Mary Margaret's POV*

I set a fresh flower in the vase on to John Doe's bedside table. I smiled at him apologetically. "I'm sorry this happened to you," I whispered rubbing my hand over the blanket covering him. "So sorry." I wiped at my eyes. He had seemed like such a nice man well except he was breaking into my house, but he was confused calling out for someone. Maybe he knew he was about to have a heart attack or whatever this had been medically declared. Maybe he had just wanted help. Nkw he was here. "I'm sorry I haven't been around much either, just-huh..I can't even come up with a good enough excuse. You just throw me off John Doe. I think I have this feeling of, its crazy, but love. I think I may have fallen in love with you. Which is so impossible because you haven't even said a word but you did kiss me. That was YOU not me, but i liked it. I mean I didnt mind it. I mean-" I checked the hallways for people glancing my way. I leaned in to kiss him and then I stopped.

"Mary Margaret this is crazy!" I reminded myself. "This is not who you are." I say on his bed and smiled at him. "I'm sorry, John Doe."

Suddenly there was a comotion going on out there. I turned my head and saw a frenziedlooking woman and a boy I recognized. That was Henry! HENRY! What was he doing there? "Henry!" I called but then I saw them coming towards me. Stand up! I told myself. Stand up and get off the bed or you'll look a fool! I jumped up and busied myself with messing with the flowers. My back to any onlookers so I didn't look suspicious.

"DAD!" The woman gasped. I could hear the hurt in her voice. "Daddy," she whispered at a croak. I heard her clothes rustling around and glanced over my shoulder to see her lying in bed with her father. (Or I presumed him to be her father.)

"This is not allowable!" Dr. Whale shouted over the woman's cries. "How can you

just barge in here and inform me that after twelve years you have decided to claim your father?"

"Whale," I whispered. "Let the girl be."

"She's breaking all sorts of policies!" Dr. Whale hissed under his breath to me. "Besides you are NOTHING! Nothing but a volunteer what say do I give you in this matter? Nothing,that is what!"

"You should be glad, as his doctor, that someone has claimed him," I reminded Whale sternly. "But heavens knows if you are really certified."

"You take that back!" Whale whispered bitterly pointing a finger at me.

"Let the girl be and maybe," I said nodding my head towards the woman.

"Ms. Blanchard," Henry piped up.

I turned around on my heels to face him and smiled. "Yes, Henry?" I asked bending down to eye level because I had learned children like you better at eye level. Less threatening and more understanding or something and another.

"This is my mom," He informed me. "You know her?"

"Excuse me?" I asked taken aback. "Your birth mother?"

Henry nodded. "She took me away from my mom."

"Oh heavens! Henry is she kidnapping you!" I gasped pulling Henry behind me and away from the woman.

"No! No." Henry shouted appauled. "I just thought you might want to know her, take a look at her....anything?" He asked expectantly.

I glanced at the woman. She was pretty,beautiful even. Blonde straight hair, fell behind her shoulders. Green eyes and fair skin. Her face was heart shaped like mine and I'm sure we had the same high arched cheekbones. "What's her name?" I asked.