Chapter One

"I can't believe we are actually graduating tonight," I took in a deep breath. "I remember the day we walked into kindergarten together wearing matching outfits."

"We were the cutest damn kids in that class." Lexi laughed.

In the 13 years we had been bestfriends her Irish accent never sieved to make me smile .

"I know! But we really need to hurry. We need to be there by 5:30 for rehearsals. I swear I'm going to be the one to fall on stage. A little help lex?" I said reaching for the back of my dress.

She came up and pulled on the zipper till it reached the middle of my back. I slipped on my heals and took one last look in the mirror. Perfect.

"7 Niall! It starts at 7. I swear to god if you are late then I'm kicking your ass. I only graduate once." She huffs and pulls on her heals holding he phone between her ear and shoulder. "Okay. Call mom when you get there and she will tell you were they are.....Yes.... Ok.... Love you too."

"N-Niall's coming?!" I barely get out of my mouth. She looks at me confused.

She didn't know I've had a crush on Niall since we were 5 and I moved into the house beside them. Me and her were instantly bestfriends. Did everything together. Basically sisters.

Niall went away for college 3 years ago and I hadn't seen him since. When he left I was still in my chunky stage and never wore makeup or cared what I looked like. Since then I lost a lot of weight and started caring. In my opinion I'm actually quite pretty.

"Kat!" I heard Lexi yell.

"What?" I snapped out of my thoughts.

"We need to go!"

I nodded and grabbed my jacket, purse, and phone. When we walked out of the house the heat hitting me and making me realize I don't need it. I turned and threw my jacket back in my house and closed the door behind me.

---

"Two minutes everyone. Get into your lines for walk out." I turned to see my principal frantically running around pulling people in line. Luckily Lexi and I were together because my last name is Horn and hers is Horan.

"This is it." Lexi pulls on my arm.

The music starts to play the the people in front of us start to walk out and get into their assigned seats in front of the podium. When Lexi and I sit down I can tell she is upset.

"What's wrong?"

"Niall isn't here yet." She points to her family.

"He will be here."

20 minutes go by and finally our principal ends her speech and starts calling names. Suddenly a loud huff is let out and I see her looking towards her family. My eyes dart up to see a man in a suit heading for her family's seats. My jaw drops and I can't let my eyes look away as he moves.

The sound of them calling Lexi's name snaps me out of my thoughts. Butterflies erupt in my stomach as I see her walk across the stage and shake the man's hand.

"Katherine Horn."

I stand and look over to my family who are standing and cheering along with Lexi's family. I catch Niall's eye and he shakes his head in confusion and whispers something to his mom. What did he say?

My conscious kicks in and tells me that the only thing I need to worry about is not falling on my face. So I focus back on the floor below me and walk up the stairs to the stage and take a breathe.

It happened all so fast and before I know it I'm sat back down beside Lexi and she is squeezing my hand. The rest of the time I'm sitting in that uncomfortable plastic chair I can feel a pair of eyes staring at me. I look over to my family and eyes catch a pair of crystal eyes looking right into mine. I quickly dart my eyes back to the podium.

"Congratulations Class of 2013!" our valedictorian shouts and everyone jumps up and throws their hats.

Lexi jumps on me and we both start screaming with smiles plastered on our faces.

"I can't believe you guys did it," my mom runs up and engulfs us in her arms with tears present in her eyes. "Now for pictures." She steps back and we both pose for the camera.

As soon as it's over Lexi runs to Niall and hugs him. It was appropriate considering she hadn't seen him in almost 2 years. Over her shoulder Niall's eyes rake down my body and my face turns red. He lets her down and stalks toward me and I feel like my feet are nailed to the ground.

"Katherine Horn," he scans my body again and pulls his lip between his teeth. "This can't be the same girl I left 3 years ago."

"Hey, Niall." I whispered.

"Are you going to hug me or not?"

Before I can answer I'm wrapped in his arms and I'm lifted off the ground. He buries his face into my neck.

"This summer is going to be fun," he whispers into my ear and sets me down.

My mind is racing in all different ways and I can't form a sentence if I depended my life on it. Finally I calm down and grab Niall's arm as he turns away.

"Your staying for the summer?"

He runs his finger up my arms making chills spread all over my body.

"I am now."