Chapter 13 - The Eruption

Thirteen

The Eruption

 We should continue our lives. After thirty-six hours, only eight remaining tributes is alive. Ferrence lift Kindle to his shoulder although he has received damage from the other tributes. I assisted Sable on our way inside the Cornucopia.

I cover the mouth of the Cornucopia with black cloth Sable has offered. I left a small portion opened to see Ferrence or is there enemy outside. I also lighted my improvised torch to have a light and heat for us. “Kindle?” I wake him in a shake. He awoke, and looking around like has been surprised. “What? Where are they?”  he asked. “They are gone. They killed two of our allies.” He looked at Ferrence sitting in the sand while the wave was on his feet. “Ersatz?” he asked. He looked at Sable who is in the hammock she get in her bag. Having a rest. After fighting a woman who is almost thrice of her age. I nod. “Who’s the other one?” he asked. I look down. I agonize. I can’t look directly on Kindle’s eyes because maybe my tears fell down without noticing it. “Romenik.” A silence hovers the mouth of the Cornucopia. Ferrence enters and he lies to sleep. “I’d better to sleep now.” I said and I blow the torch off and we all sleep in the pitch-black cave of the mouth of the Cornucopia. We woke up by a noise coming from afar. They were shouting. We get outside and we saw the Firefly-and-Stingbee Island flaming with fire. I saw Riftka and Grid packed with weapons. Grid toss his long dagger to Ferrence. Ferrence dodge but it slashes his thigh. He runs into Ferrence with a rapier, they fence themselves with Ferrence. I and Kindle was waiting to release a bow since aiming with moving targets would be hard for us.  Sable was tossing a pole spear to Riftka but it impales both Grid and Ferrence, hitting Grid’s heart and Ferrence lungs. Riftka, grabbing the opportunity on Sable’s state of shock, has hit a throwing dagger onto her head. Boom! Boom! Boom! A triple boom! And we have no time to help them, we try to shoot numerous shots to Riftka but she is  too far from us now. My tears were falling. Falling. I can’t stop. Since my three allies have died. 

We laid them in the green grasses. I whistle my long blow to call up a breeze of wind. Back in our district, whistling can summon cool breeze during summer. The day was very hot and we decide to keep the game. We should win, for the three allies who was been the best alliance I ever have.

We were talking for the other tributes while the roaring and growling wildebeests in the beast sector noises the arena. “Riftka run into the west so she will be far from us. Both Lancedon and Korinyes was maybe in the Voltage Sector or in the Magma Sector” I say. “Yes. We will win. This maybe the fastest games I’ve encounter.” Kindle asks. “It may be. The shortest game in the history was the 79th Games that lasts for only six days.” I tell him. Then, a voice spoke from the sky. “Attention, tributes, you could all win this year’s games if you will be alive for the next four hours, the Victor’s hovercraft will came here exactly at noon. This will be the special announcement.” Kindle and I grinned a smile in each other.

We were in the middle of the jungle of Firefly-and-Stingbee Island when suddenly; we were outbalanced by a shake of the ground. “Earthquake? I thought we are in the Firefly-and- Stingbee Island.” Kindle utters. Another shake has outbalanced us again. We saw the sky going dark. The huge mountain in the Magma Sector has explode and vomits black ashes and spitting overflowing hot magma. We run back into the Cornucopia when We saw Lancedon and Korinyes swimming in the waters. We hear a loud scream from the west crying for help. It is Riftka, carried away by the sandstorm and snowstorm winds and smashes her in the Cornucopia, she was bleeding with her eyes open and feared. Boom! She died! Two more to kill and  Kindle and I will be the victors. Korinyes has first to reach the Cornucopia but then, for my anger, I commanded to shoot Kindle. “Now!” my echoes have scatters around the arena. And the growling volcano has blast. We releases the arrows into Korinyes. “Wait! No!” she pleads. But I continue the attempt. Our arrows has screw on her forehead and Boom! Last one more. Lancedon throws his glaive and it stick into the Cornucopia showing its force. We fire him many arrows but he dodges. We were alarmed by the raining flame. We saw him hit by the chunk of flaming big boulders of rocks. We run inside the Cornucopia and covers our head to hide in the raining chunks of comet-like embers. Later on, we hear the Gong bong hitting twelve times. And a voice has spoke a happy voice. “Good morning, may we present to you, the victors of the Centennial Year of the Games. The 100th Annual Hunger Games, Kindle Crenshaw, and Sumner Frankencense, Congratulations!” we were happy, we were getting out of the Cornucopia and hug each other. I won. Finally, for Mom, Dad, Gloshierre, Sable, Ferrence, Asha, Oleander and Paprika, for my district, and to Romenik.

I won the most hardest battle of the year, where you could able to survive in four days with eight deadly traps and twenty-nine tributes in the arena. Things will never be the same if I came back. Because now, I can saw myself in wealth with Asha and my District in prosper.