Chapter 4

“What time is Casey getting here?” Dad asked me as I entered the kitchen.

“Her flight landed half an hour ago, so she’ll probably get here in about an hour.”

After I had told Casey what had happened with Chase, she decided to fly out earlier than she had originally planned.

“Your Mum left you a bacon sandwich on the side if you want breakfast,” Dad told me, folding up his newspaper and putting it on the table.

“Where is she?” I asked.

“She’s gone into town with Nicole. They’re probably getting their nails done, or cooing over a pretty dress or whatever it is that women do when they’re together. And I know that you’re drinking the orange juice straight from the carton, no matter how much you try and hide behind the door.”

I stuck my head around the door of the fridge, and flashed Dad a smile. “You do know I always drink out of the carton, right?”

Dad rolled his eyes. “Just don’t do it when I’m around.”

I grinned at him. Dad was so laid back, it was as though he didn’t have a care in the world sometimes. “What are your plans for the day?” I asked him, taking a seat at the table.

“I was thinking that we could have a barbecue this evening, so I’ll take a trip into town later on. What about you? Are you going to wait for Casey to get here?”

I nodded as I swallowed a bite of my sandwich. “We’ll probably just go down to the beach when she gets here through. You know how much of a sun goddess Case is!”

Dad laughed. “Just don’t forget to apply sun block, will you?”

I shook my head. “You worry too much.”

“Good morning troopers!”

Dad and I both turned to see Alex enter the kitchen.

“Morning Alex,” Dad greeted him.

“Why are you so happy?” I asked. Alex made his way over to the fridge and helped himself to a bottle of water. He downed half of it before answering.

“Why shouldn’t I be happy?”

I shrugged. “You’re never normally this chirpy.”

“I never normally get to spend the day with my favourite person.”

“Oh. Are you having a you day? Gonna sit in front of the mirror and practice your chat up lines?” I teased.

“Oh please! You know my chat up lines don’t need practicing. The ladies fall for them every time.” He winked at me.

Dad stood up. “I think I’m going to leave you kids to it,” he told us, then left via the back door.

“You sound just like Chris,” I shuddered, once Dad had gone.

“Where is the muppet, anyway? He asked, craning his neck to look out of the window.

“Probably still asleep.”

Alex nodded in understanding. “So, what do you wanna do today?”

“Well Casey is coming in about an hour, so we’ll probably just end up on the beach all day.

Alex frowned, as though he was deep in thought. “I thought Casey wasn’t coming for another couple of weeks?”

“She was supposed to be, but she’s coming today instead. Who told you about that, anyway?”

“I overheard your mom telling my mom. But that’s beside the point. Why did she change her mind?”

I shrugged. “I don’t know. I can’t mind read.”