Chapter Six

"What? Mom did this to you?" I asked, my jaw hanging open. I looked at Matt- I mean Chace and his face confirmed my father was telling the truth.

"I had been suspecting your mom of cheating for some time. I got a private investigator to tail her and he confirmed it all. She had always denied it but when I dropped the proof and the photos in her lap a switch flipped. She got a vicious glint in her eye. She was spitting mad. Said she would take you away from me. I couldn't have that. I was prepared to fight for full custody and leave her with nothing but she wasn't having any if it. She had been pestering me and I packed a suitcase and went to put it in the car before I went upstairs to get you. I felt a deep thud on my head and turned only to be met with a cold gun in my face." He sighed deeply and hunched his shoulders. Matty started to talk. "I had often heard your parents argue but I always distracted you and kept you busy. The night I was coming to tell you I loved you I walked up and hid in the bush. I thought Nat might be embarrassed if he saw me there. I heard the thud and froze. I couldn't move. Only when she pulled the trigger did I run out. She told me if I said anything she would blame me and you would end up in foster care. I panicked and my family and I left. The FBI contacted me when I turned eighteen and I've been with your father since. We run the local stables."

My dad spoke next. "I got you a pony for if I ever saw you again. Her name is Sunshine. She's a palomino. I'd love to show you." He lifted his eyes and smiled a craggy smile.

"Well, I guess I'm in this now. Let me meet the police and I will give whatever information I can." I noticed for the first time the vibrating in my bag. I pulled out my phone. 1,263 likes on my Instagram from this morning for the new shoot I did. It felt so far removed now. So insignificant. I had 14 missed calls. Tommy and my ho bag mother. I wanted to vomit as I remembered seeing them together.

Two weeks later:

I had chopped off my long, blonde hair and to just below the shoulder and dyed it a dark chocolate brown. Now that I didn't wear make up my freckles showed and I looked a lot younger. I sold my more expensive clothes to a consignment store and stocked up on lots of jeans, tees, sneakers and a beautiful pair of rust red cowboy boots. I had slid right into working at the stables. The guys enjoyed having a female around and I took over teaching the 4 to 10 year olds. I had a new identity. My name was Chelsea and I was just your average farm girl...