Chapter three

I couldn't believe it... "Matthew? Matty?"

My childhood friend who had mysteriously moved without so much as a word after my dad's death was standing in front of me. He had vanished. No Facebook, no instagram, nothing. I was twelve and he was turning fifteen when he had left. So I was now sixteen and that would make him almost nineteen. He had grown up good. He had gone from gangly teen to bulky hunk. He had a jaw that could cut glass, biceps for days but a steely look in his eye. I dropped my bag and ran and hugged him hard. He was stiff and didn't embrace me back. I had the biggest crush on him when he disappeared. "Summer, you shouldn't be here..." he said as he pushed me away. "Matty, what are you saying? I have looked everywhere for you? Why are you here? Where have you been?" He sighed and pointed to the big leather couch. A copy of our favourite book to read to each other lay on the table. We used to spread a blanket, read Romeo and Juliet to each other and picnic on the grass. It was blissful.

"Summer, you can't tell anyone you saw me and you need to leave and forget about me!" he seethed. "I don't understand Matty, I have thought about you everyday for the last four years. You just left, I lost my father and you just left me!"I sobbed and he sat down and wrapped his strong arms around me. I felt so warm in his embrace and he let his guard down for a second.

"Tell me what brought you here Summer." I told him everything. "Yeah, your mom is a real piece of work." he said sighing.

"What, you don't worship her like all the boys do? She is what you guys call a milf, right?" He sniggered. "Your mom is cheap Summer, she cares nothing for anyone but herself. If you ask me, her and Tommy did you a favour. He's a dumbass if he can't see what he has, you're amazing."

"You mean had. I'm done. You really think I'm amazing?" I blushed and looked up at him through my eyelashes. He tilted my chin up towards him. "I do, always have." He leaned down and gently placed his lips on mine. His kiss was gentle and his lips soft. I kissed him back slowly at first and the next thing I had my fingers locked behind his head and was kissing him passionately. My core got warm and fuzzy. I had never felt this before. Nothing like this with Tommy. Before I knew it I was pushed away by Matty.

He looked down at me with an emotion I couldn't read. "Summer, this can't happen. I'm sorry." I grabbed his hand. "Why? Just tell me why? What are you doing here? We can be together. I've loved you forever. I never stopped thinking about you. I was young then but now I can actually be with you."

"Summer, I can't be with you... because I killed your father."