0.1 | spilled drinks

"you know that feeling when you're weak and ya, wish your brain could delete for ya."

O C E A N

4 years ago

mom and dad both sat at the table, papers spread around them as their lawyers talked things out. they were getting a divorce.

i guess you could say it was both of their faults. my dad would spend all his time at work and flirting around with coworkers, he didn't have time to show my mom love.

for the first few weeks, they ignored each other. that was until my mother made the decision to go out almost every night with "friends". she would come home by 11 pm to be here for us, but later as things got worse, she would stay out until the next morning.

my brother chase and i are exactly two years apart. so me being 14 and him being 16 at the time, we understood what was going on. our sister summer would be dropped off at our grandmother's house, so she never knew what was going on.

"so mrs. conners, you want full custody of all three children?" one of the lawyers asked.

my mother turned and looked over through the kitchen door and into the living room at us, with a feeling i didn't recognize on her face. "yes, sir. i do."

my father shook his head, tossing a pen he had in his hand onto the table, "no i will not let you take my kids away from me, martha. you can have everything, but not my kids, anything but my kids!" he raised his voice. tears threatened to spill out of his eyes.

i felt so bad for my dad. i know it wasn't his intention to hurt our family, but it was a result of what he did. now look at us. mom and dad are fighting so one of them keeps the kids. while we sit back and watch everything.

tears streamed down my face as chase held me close to him. i didn't like to see my father cry, it hurt me every time he did. i guess you could say i was a daddy's girl. our father has treated us way better than our mother has if i'm being honest. he showed us more love than she ever did.

"i show them more love than you do, mike." lies, it was him who always did.

"martha, you and i both know that's not even true!"

"mr. and mrs. conners, please stop yelling. look at what you are doing to these kids." all eyes were now on us. chase held a hard face while i silently cried into his shoulder.

"sweetie come here." my father's voice called out. chase nudged me and i looked up at him for reassurance. he weakly smiled down at me with a small nod. "go baby sis."

i stood up, my hands trembling along with my bottom lip. my dad stood up, walking over to hug me. "it'll all be okay baby girl."

"i love you so much dad." i cried into his chest, gripping his shirt. he ran his fingers through my hair, "i love you too, ocean."

----

one week later, my dad was packing his stuff to move out. my mom had gotten custody of everything, except half of the money they spilt and the company both of them owned.