Chapter 1

A morning like any other, Rebecca woke in the arms of a friend – well she could hardly call him a friend she barely knew him at all. A sick feeling began forming in the pit of her stomach; she had done it again. One too many drinks and she woke in the arms of some one other then Liam- her boyfriend. The feeling she was sure was guilt continued to grow as she picked up her clothes from around Cole’s room. She did indeed know the man just not well. She sighed as she got dressed quickly and made her way home hoping Liam hadn’t noticed her absence from their apartment the night before.

Opening the door she was greeted by Bo her two year old tabby cat. The cat danced between and around her legs. Rebecca bent to her knees and gave the cat the attention it wanted. The sound of metal clashing with the floor and Liam’s harsh yell brought her attention to the kitchen. Sleeping with Cole slipped her mind as she stood by the counter in the kitchen watching the man she loved cuss the pots and pans as they continued to fall from the cabinet over head. She suppressed a laugh as he tried to catch a few, failing miserable. Affection shown in her eyes as she watched him pick up the scattered cook ware, eventually she began helping him. She was surprised when he thanked her with a bitter glare.

“Did you have fun with your one-night stand,” he spat out with a huff.

He pulled the remaining pans from her grasp roughly shoving them back into their rightful place. She was taken back by his sudden out burst having nearly forgotten about the slip-up with Cole.

“You know it didn’t mean anything,” she reasoned softly.

Her blue eyes were down cast staring at the floor, unable to meet his green ones. She loved his eyes a light green speckled with forest green and she hated to see them full of distaste. He laughed bitterly, as he turned the stove on and began boiling water.

“What are you making,” she asked.

She wasn’t trying to change the subject she was genuinely curious but the question only fueled his irritation. He went to the pantry and pulled out a box of pasta tossing it onto the counter. He continued to pull out items from the pantry in a fury, not answering her until the counter top was littered with all the ingredients needed to make her favorite dish.

“Spaghetti, your favorite,” he said sullenly.

That feeling formed in her stomach once more, like a tight round ball growing with each moment. She reached out to touch his arm but he pulled away quickly. Tears pricked at her eyes and all that guilt and remorse began turning, turning into anger and resentment. He was no better then she was so he had no right to be so rude.

“Don’t be like that,” she stated her hostility evident.

He turned to her quickly looking at her with disbelief. She however didn’t back down. He had no right to be angry with her like this, so full of bitterness he could barely stand himself let only her. It was stupid, like some kind of double standard.