Lemons and Mint

I woke up the next morning in my bed. I glanced around the room I call mine and cringe. I hate the baby blue walls that were meant for a boy. I hate the posters of bands I don't know hanging everywhere to hide the miserable state of the room. I hate the rickety window that doesn't close right and lets in too much of outside. I hate the smell of cigarettes as it wafts up the stairs. I hate that the door locks from the outside in. I hate the scratches on the door that left wood under my fingernails. I hate the screams trapped in the walls that echo at night. I hate it all.  

   I get up and check the clock. It's only 12:00 in the afternoon, I usually sleep longer. I put my arms above my head and stop mid stretch. There on my desk was a gorgeous red and black dress. I walk over to it and let the lace run through my fingers. Next to the dress was a small mask to match it. It took me all of two seconds to realize who it came from, Jasper.   

   I run to my window and lock it

   I run to my window and lock it. I know I should be touched and fall madly in love with him like other girls would but I was too creeped out. How the heck did he get in my room? How does he know where I live?!? I was just about to call the police when I saw a little card on the floor. It must have fallen. I picked it up and was instantly brought back to last night. The card smelled just like him, just like lemons and mint. The pleasant fragrance danced about the room, chasing out the smell of cigarettes and beer.  

      "How does he do that?" I whispered, a smile creeping onto my face as I read the letter.  

       I really hope you come to night. I'll be sad without you there with me. 

      That's it, I'm going. 

        A few hours later I was almost ready to go. I had gone through the tedious battle of coaxing beauty out of my face with all the different torture devices makeup has to offer. I had over packed and repacked my purse with unnecessary necessities. I had even found the time to shave the areas that would never see the light of day if I had a say in it, just for the sake of being pristine. All I had left was to put on the dress. The magnificently horrible dress that would expose my ins and outs and leave me vulnerable to the scrutiny of the room. The gorgeously terrible dress that would draw eyes to the bright strips on my arms that mirrored that of the lace surrounding me. The beautiful tormenting dress that demanded I not slouch or move, lest I trip and rip the dress in such a loud commotion that the whole room full of eye descend upon me in a fury unlike any I've ever dealt with before.   

      With an exasperated groan I grab the dress and mask and run for my window. I unlock it and gently lift it up. It creaks and groans in protest but doesn't betray me to my father. I place one leg outside and feel the chill of Halloween night creep up my leggings. I swing my other leg out and jump without much thought. I had done this enough times to know I was safe.  

    Once firmly situated on the ground I make my way to the back of the house. I hide in a small out cove I had discovered years ago and began to undress.  I hide my clothes in an easily accessible spot and clutch my jacket closer around me. I begin my long walk to Jasper's house.