The Night to Remember

The house is like a mansion. I tug at my mask in hopes of fitting in. The house towers over me, threatening to consume me whole. I leer at it, despising the looming belittlement it has for me, not much unlike my father's. I walk up the front porch, making sure to bash my heel sharply into each step.

     I stand awkwardly outside the hard maple door unsure of my next step. The face of lion etched onto a door knocker taunts me. It laughs with it's eyes at my puny behavior. It sneers at my appearance with it's toothy grin. It's mane knots and tangles in mockery of my nervous state. I'm just about to turn around and go home when the door swooshes open with a sound so impressive I can't help but stare in awe. It welcomes me with a grandfatherly like smile, urging me to come into the house. I tentatively step forward, avoiding the gaze of the wretched lion, fixing my mask so it shields me from the stare.

     Now inside the house I can hear the music from the party. It moves me like nothing I've heard before. It howls and cries in a mix of lulling beauty. It wraps around me, pulling me farther and farther into the house. The floor moans under my weight. I pull at my mask, adjusting it yet again. It's my safety, my shield.

       The music gets louder and more hypnotizing as I near the door. You hold your breath in anticipation, it's finally time. I place my hand on the golden gleaming handle and feel the warmth of life. I push it down slightly and the door swings open. My breath gets caught in my throat at the sight before me. The pure beauty of it all brings tears to my eyes.

      I shrink against the wall despite the comfort of the room and watch. People of all shapes and sizes dance in motion to one another. The push and pull of the wave of hands and arms and legs beckons me to join but I stand firm. I try to find the emerald green eyes from the night before but the sea of masks makes it difficult. I suck in a large breath and scan the crowd yet again.

      "Take off your sweater. You don't need to hide" A voice whispers next to me. I turn and am met with the gorgeous hue of of a stormy sea.

      "Jasper." I smile, turning to properly look at him. He's dressed from head to toe in black, sleeveless, tux. His tie is the one splash of color. It's the only red in the sea of black. I look up into his face but I can only make out his eyes. His mask covers the rest of his face.