Chapter Twenty-One

I have a small déjà vu moment as I tighten my tie. Copeland sits on my bed behind me, making sure Jackson doesn't fall off. He giggles, hands running over the fluffy blankets.

"Almost ready?" Mike asks, peaking his head into my room. "Almost, take Jackson out to the car for me?"

"Sure."

I invited Mike with because I knew I'd need someone to hold Jackson. It would either be Mike or one of the social workers, and I think Jackson would be more comfortable with someone he sees daily.

Copeland watches me, looking down at her dress. I catch her eye and smile, adjusting my tie one last time before turning to her.

"Ready?" I ask, picking her up. She rests her head on my shoulder, wrapping her arms and legs around me. "Mhm..." She hums, yawning.

She had woken up just an hour before, the meeting happening at around ten.

I set her in her car seat, buckling her up. Mike is already in the passenger seat on his phone. He looks up as I get behind the wheel.

"Ready?" He asks.

I nod stiffly, pushing the keys into the ignition and heading towards the court building.

The drive is short and we get there in no time, Copeland half asleep in her seat. I pick her up after unbuckling her, propping her up on my hip. She lets out a tired sigh, resting her head on my shoulder.

We enter the courthouse, going through security. It's the same security guards as before, 'M. Bohn' taking my phone and keys. I walk through with Copeland, 'T. Carter' smiling and waving at her.

She giggles softly, burying her face into my neck shyly.

Mike comes through next, Jackson whining in his arms. "Have a good day." 'M. Bohn' says, 'T. Carter' smiling and waving at us. Copeland waves back, hand going to clutch my jacket as we begin to climb up the stairs.

Kellin hasn't arrived yet which is fine, we are a bit early. I seat myself on one of the benches that line the hallway, letting myself slump against the hard wood.

Copeland sits down next to me, Mike and Jackson taking a seat next to her.

We wait for awhile, time moving slowly.

After awhile of waiting Austin comes up the stairs, shooting us a smile. "I haven't seen you guys in awhile." He says, offering a hand to Mike. "Nice to meet you I'm Austin."

"Mike."

Austin nods, clapping me on the back and sitting down next to me. "Kellin not here yet?" He wonders, looking down at his watch. "He has some more time." I say, also looking at his watch.

It's nine forty-five. We start at ten.

I relax in my chair, worry seeping into my gut. If Kellin misses this meeting it'll take a large toll on his chance to get Copeland back. "Where's daddy?" Copeland wonders, looking up at me.

"I'm not sure..." I say slowly, pulling out my phone.

I check the time almost every thirty seconds, tapping my fingers against my thigh.