Chapter 3

I collapse on the sidewalk with my head in my palms. The door flies open and Eliza runs out, a concerned look in her fearsome eyes.

"Summer! Wait!" She yells as I begin running towards the road. Thoughts flash through my mind like a song on repeat- unable to stop themselves.

Should I just run into the road? Get hit by a car? Who would even care if I died? Certainly not my best friend! Certainly not my boyfriend!

As I'm nearing the sidewalk, Eliza catches me and yanks me backwards.

"You are NOT going to commit suicide. Not today, not any day!" She shouts, pulling me into her welcoming arms. "I know you're sad sweetie, but trust me. This isn't the right answer." I cry for what seems like forever into her shoulders and she pats my back and smoothes my hair.

"Peyton and Matt may seem like total bitches right now, but I can promise you that that kiss was an accident. They didn't mean to hurt you Summer," she soothes once more.

We sit there on the sidewalk for a while until the door to the gym opens and I see Coach out of the corner of my eye running towards us.

"Where have you two been?! The whole gym has been on a mission for you guys! Thought you'd drowned in the toilet for God's sake!" He's stamping his foot like a child now, and sweat is dripping down his forehead.

Eliza helps me to my feet and says, "Sorry but this is girls only. Summer's boyfriend just cheated on her with her best friend! This is kind of important!" She snarls back at Coach.

"Watch it Liza or you'll be kicked off the team," he threatens back. To me he leans down and says, "I'll ask Peyton and Matt what happened between the two of them, okay Summer? Nothing to worry about kiddo." He leaned down and kissed the top of my head and for a moment, everything was okay.

"Thank you Coach," I whispered with a tiny smile on my face. He turned away, but before walking into the gym added,

"C'mon back into the gym when you're ready now Summer. I promise that this whole thing will blow over, and that it's just a misunderstanding."