Chapter 25

Peyton pulled into the parking lot of Galveston Beach and killed the engine. An officer decked out in a bright orange pinnie sauntered over to the driver's side of the car and lightly tapped on the window.

"It's ten bucks for preferred parking," He said, adjusting his dark hair and spitting onto the pavement.

Peyton cringed and replied, "Well, could you lead me to the un-preferred parking? Because I'm not paying ten dollars to park at a beach. Jeez." The officer nodded and pointed to his left.

"Follow the signs, ladies. Parkin's free over there." Then he turned on his heel and walked over to the next approaching car. Eliza and I exchanged looks as Peyton rolled her eyes and began to drive to the other lot.

A few moments later, we were each dragging bags and coolers down the boardwalk and into the hot sand. Thank god we had packed a twenty-four package of water and a couple of sodas and lemonades, because the heat was already getting to me. I brushed the sweat from my forehead, and adjusted my sunglasses.

"Let's get a spot down by the Jedi," Eliza suggested, changing our direction. I nodded and followed her lead. Soon a giant outstretch of glistening rocks jutted out into the open ocean. Seagulls dotted the highest points, and children jumped about from rock to rock and collected seashells. Everything was breathtaking, and very relaxing compared to life at home only a few hours away.

"Hey," I called, pointing at a distant shack. "Fried dough and ice cream! Oh, and pier fries," I moaned, licking my lips. "Please say we can buy some later," Peyton giggled and nodded. I would die for a big plate of buttery fried dough doused in powdered sugar right now. It sounded so delicious.

"Hmm," Eliza said, "Why not get some right this moment?" Then we all laughed, dropped our coolers and beach totes, and ran towards the snack shack.