Chapter 2

The doctor’s tests weren’t actually what I had imagined. I had come to believe through watching movies that poor Kazuki would be latched up to machines with a strange silver bowl on his head with wires spiralling off it… Instead, he was asked questions. First he was shown flash cards and asked if he knew the object.

“What’s this?” asked the psychiatrist in a sweet voice.

“I don’t know” Kazuki frowned at the picture of the kettle

“What’s this?”

“A lollipop”

“What’s this?”

“I don’t have the faintest clue” Kazuki scowled at the picture of a vase.

This worried me. Kazu was playing games, surely. He knew what a bloody kettle was! He used to love coffee up until recently. Our kettle died about two months ago and we never got round to replace it. There was always an excuse to go buy a new kettle in our house for some reason…

Next, the psychiatrist, Dr Maki, ask me to help in this ‘part two’. I agreed.

“Byou, does Kazuki have a favourite show to watch on television?” she asked, blue eyes sparkling in the light.

“yes-“

“What is it?”

“I think it’s an anime called Beelzebub”

Dr Maki turned to Kazuki “Do you remember that?”

Kazuki shrugged. He waved his hands in the air in front of him, making the outline of a box, frowning with concentration “Erm…” he thought, clicking his tongue. I felt the table begin to wobble in front of us. I looked down to see Kazuki’s quickly fidgeting legs, shaking and jumping. It had to be one of the strangest things I had ever seen in my life.

“Television?” Dr Maki asked.

“What’s a television?” the look on Kazuki’s face was of pure cluelessness. I stared hard him, trying to work out if he was kidding around or not. No sign of a joke was spotted. His face was full of questions.

“Byou” Dr Maki caught my attention again “explain the appearance of the television in your house. If you have more than one, then explain the one he watches the most”

I gave a small nod, before twisting my body towards Kazuki and taking a deep breath. “It’s… big” I began awkwardly, holding my arms out either side of me to suggest its width “And it’s black and rectangular”

Kazuki blinked at me then looked away and gazed at the table. His hand reached out across to a little black book near Dr Maki. He dragged it across the fine wood towards him, stroking it and tapping his fingers on it. A little light seem to flash on in his eyes.

“Book” he announced before his head swivelled back to mine “is it a really big book?”

“Well it does tell stories, I guess!” I laughed, catching the eye of Dr Maki, whose calm face was just unsettling.

“Kazuki” she regained his attention “What are you sitting on?”

The guitarist looked down at the chair, eyeing it curiously. His hands began to rub the cold, silver frames of the arms, leading him to the scratching material at the back. “Chair” he finally breathed.

“Good” the doctor said quietly. “Kazuki, would you mind if I asked you about your accident?”

My lover cocked his head to one side, snuggling down in the chair, still rubbing the arms. “What accident?”