Chapter One.

Hello! I can't tell you how nervous I am to post this. I really, really hope you like it!

You'll be confused for a little while, and that's okay - all will be explained eventually ;)

This is my first time posting something new in absolutely ages and I've been pretty anxious about it, so any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Please vote, comment and let me know what you think!

Enjoy!<3

**

July 25th, 2015.

Auckland, New Zealand.

Dear, Dad-

Dad, it's me. Midge-

Hey, Dad...-

"For fuck's sake!"

Another piece of paper screwed up, tossed across the room to the ever-growing pile on the floor. I stared down at the next blank piece with exasperated eyes, clutched at my pen so hard I thought it might break.

The door behind me flew open in a flash. I didn't glance over my shoulder as Ash wandered out of her bedroom; the pleasant smell of her perfume wafted over, and the heels of her shoes clicked rhythmically against the wooden floor as she wandered across to hover over me. Her eyes slowly flitted to the many screwed-up sheets of paper that were lying in the corner. Her eyebrows rose.

"So it's going well then?" She joked, and her lips pulled apart to form a mischievous grin.

"I can't do it," I retorted, clenched my jaw. "None of it is going right. I give up."

She caught me before I could throw my pen down, grabbing it between her perfectly-manicured fingers and tucking it tightly back inside of my palm. I scowled bitterly; it was alright for her - dressed up to the nines, ready to go enjoy herself. She didn't need to worry about some stupid letter she had to write.

"You can do it," She told me gently. "You're just thinking too much into it. Write what you would say if you were talking to your dad face-to-face. It doesn't need to be anything special. Just...casual."

"I haven't spoken to him in almost three and a half years, Ash."

"Uhuh, which is exactly why it's such a good idea to write a letter," Her hands landed on her hips sternly; big sister Ash was coming out. "It wouldn't be fair to just go home, out of the blue, without any warning beforehand. Would it?"

"No, it wouldn't."

"Exactly," She leaned past me as she spoke, grabbed hold of her clutch bag that was lying on the table. "Now, are you sure you don't want to take a break from all of this thinking? You and Luca could double date with Jack and I. We haven't done that in a while."

I managed a smile - just a small one. "Thanks, Ash, but I really need to get this letter written. Go have a good night. Tell Jack I said hi."

"Will do."

With a gentle squeeze to my shoulder, she turned, gave herself a once-over in the mirror. There was no doubting she looked flawless in the tight red dress that was clinging to her body in every best way it possibly could. She took a second to tweak the light curls that her blonde hair fell into, and then shot me another smile, opening the front door.

"Oh," She spoke - I didn't look up, already back to glaring at the piece of paper in front of me. "Hey, Luca."

"Hey, Ash," The deep voice with the strong, distinctive accent - mostly Australian, but clearly adopting twinges of the New Zealand accent, too - poured into the apartment. It put me ever so slightly at ease; not enough to rid me of my current stressing, though.