one

I looked out the window, a big smile on my face,admiring the beautiful surroundings God created for every living thing, big or small. Elongated pine trees swayed back and forth to the wind's soothing beat, letting tiny water droplets loose. The sun engulfed the earth in a tender warm embrace, promising a beautiful morning. The forest was buzzing with activity - squirrels scurried up the trunks of some trees, bees collected nectar from flowers, etc. I closed my eyes, and opened the window slightly. I inhaled the pungent smell that came from a nearby stream, carefully listening to the soothing sounds of nature.

'SH-W-E-E-K'

The bus came to a halt infront of a dainty building that had a big banner that read: WELCOME CAMPERS, in capital letters, running accross the ceramic pillars. I toppled out of the vehicle with the other passengers. As I lugged my luggage out of the bus, my phone buzzed. It was a message from my mother.

From mum: Hey dear, hav u arrived yet?

I instantly replied.

To mum: Yup... Js got out the bus!!!

She replied two minutes later:

From mum: Ur father n' I r going to Italy next week, and we'll b back in 8 months. Luv u, hav fun this summer dear.

I shoved my phone back into my pocket. Exasperation lingered in my spirit, causing me to carelessly drop my belongings to the ground.

"Ouch!" Someone behind me screamed.

I turned around to see a tall lean girl with auburn curls that cascaded down her back in waves, struggling to untangle her foot from my duffel bag.

"I'm so sorry, I should've looked where I was placing my bag." I said apologetically, lifting the bag up.

"It's okay, we all make mistakes..." She said to me, flashing me a serene smile.

"Not as big as the ones I make though," I remarked.

The girl laughed heartily.

"If you took a day in my shoes, then you'd KNOW what a mistake is." She said with a smile.

Her smile was so genuine and her tone so friendly, I started to open up with her. I found out her name was Jane in a matter of seconds. She had a very bubbly personality; something I knew I'd like about her if we were to become friends. The two of us were so engrossed in our conversation, we hadn't noticed that the campers had all gathered at the camp's bulletin board.

"I think we ought to join the group." Jane remarked.

We quickly made our way to the group that had gathered, struggling to carry our belongings at the action. As we got closer, we saw a man neatly dressed in a suit, addressing the campers. Beside him was a boy who looked to be about nineteen or twenty. He didn't seem to be paying attention to what was happening around him. Instead, a blank countenance played on his face, indicating he was distant.

"I hope all of us received Jesus as our christ and saviour." The man said. "If not, I hope being at a place like this will bring you closer to God..."

I listened intently to every word he said. After his explanation, I was happy with my decision; going to that camp was the best thing that happened to me. The man introduced us to the camp staff, told us about camp activities and gave us an account on the camp's history.

"My name is Mr. Spier, and I'm currently the owner of the camp." The man told us all. "You are now free to do as you please, until dinner time." He added, before heading for the dainty building.

The crowd quickly dispersed, leaving Jane and I at the bulletin board.

"Come with me," Jane said, gesturing me to follow her.