Progress

There is nothing effortless about being a criminal mastermind's Psychiatrist, but the job itself is as rewarding as it is challenging.
For you there is nothing more exhilarating then being allowed to uncover pieces of the Joker's puzzle of a personality. Of course he likes to let you think that you've figured him out and just when you feel that you've made some progress in his treatment, the clown brings out another sliver of info more dangerous and perplexing then the previous one.
It is half way through a rather in depth discussion when you begin to realize that your patient is actually assessing you. Which isn't a surprise really considering the clown has been in Arkham long enough to know how it all works. Still it is quite impressive when you think about it and it does reveal just how intelligent he really is underneath all that madness he exudes. No wonder it's been difficult to get through to his heavily guarded mind when he already knows all the psychological tricks thanks to past treatment.
Now you know that the Joker will have all the answers ready should he ever get a chance to leave the institution with that certified stamp and his sanity intact.

You have come to compare your patient to a rough cut emerald, though his affiliation with the hue is only half the reason behind your observation. The Joker is vibrant, alluring and cold as stone. A rarity who's jagged edges will indeed cut with a scathing taunt and slice emotions until they over power and spew fourth. Oddly exotic but attractive there is a strange beauty about him and he only allows you to gaze, never touch.
He enjoys your company more than anybody else on staff and this means there has not been one threat on your life. He even requests extra time should he not see you often enough.,
But despite his favoritism, you know that when you enter the room his friendly manner is a ploy, an artfully devised trap to bring your guard down.
Even knowing this you still can't help the blush when ever the clown compliments you in a very personal manner. He's clever that way and far too charming for his own good.
Quick and deadly like an asp, he coils ready to strike when sensing a weakness in your armor.
Every night you go home and build up another layer hoping beyond anything that he won't be able to penetrate it but somehow the villain  always finds every fault you've missed.

~~~~~~~~~~

Two months into therapy and you feel confident enough to request that your patient be allowed to have his recreational privileges.
It is denied at first because of Jeremiah's weariness of the idea. He knows better than anybody just how violent the Jokers history is so you can't really blame the man for being overly cautious for the safety of his staff and patients.
It takes a very convincing proposal to get him and the board of directors on side but in the end you manage to change their mind set.
Your argument. "While solitary confinement is an effective psychological practice that we know well. My studies have shown that it does tend to eat away at a patients mental state if: they are left alone for too long a period.
The transition back into main stream care is never completely successful. Most are too paranoid to talk to another human being and their auditory perception seems to amplify to the extreme.
Eventually both Arkham and the board agree with your suggestion and with all new projects it comes with conditions. Ones that you are happy to comply with if it means more time to spend with your fascinating patient.
"Alright Doctor _____, you have made a compelling case. We agree with your views and as long as the patient is kept in his straight jacket..and also accompanied with Officer Cash at all times, we see no issue with the patient eating dinner with the rest of the residents."

To say that the Jokers entrance into the dining hall is climactic would be an understatement. For he doesn't need to command the attention of the entire room by announcing his arrival out loud. Not a whisper leaves his grilled teeth and he's still the most influential creature in the institution.
You are in awe as heads twist violently in his direction afraid that a few of the patients have surely pulled a muscle just to catch a glimpse of the infamous Joker. Aaron Cash who isn't impressed marches the tattooed fiend between tables and all eye contact is avoided.
When the sound of a busy dining hall is snuffed  out with an uncomfortable hiss. You realize with alarm that the Joker is feeding on the fear and disconcertion. 
He is silent all through dinner and those alien features remain a mask of indifference while the clown absorbs how they all tremble in his presence. Most are too petrified to look him in the eye but there are a single few who have long ago won his respect.
The others who long to hear his praise look anyway even when they know it's a death sentence. You recall his statement earlier this morning and finally understand what means.