Chapter 12: Touching and Talking

"Boo," John says as he sneaks up behind me. I jump and turn around to see him standing right in front of me with a big grin on his face. "Did I scare you?"

"Nope," I laugh and he steps closer to me. 

"Sure, sure. Do you want to talk about what happened last night?" he asks.

"Yes," I say. I completely forgot to mention the hunters. "Can we go somewhere more private?"

"Yeah," he bows down and says, "After you, miss."

I smile and walk down the hall. "Why thank you, sir."

We walk into his bedroom and I sit down on the bed. He sits next to me, silently waiting for me to start the conversation. "How come you weren't at school yesterday?" I ask.

"Me and Alex had some things to discuss."

"They all seem to look up to you, you know," I say.

"Well, I'd hope so. I'm their alfa."

I look at him and my mouth drops open. "Seriously? Why didn't you tell me?"

"I didn't think that I needed to," he shrugs.

"Understandable."

"So, tell me what happened with your dad."

"Okay. I talked to him about everything you told me. I said that I knew what he did to me, that I knew why he made us move around so much, that I knew the hunters have been after him for practically my whole life, that I knew about us and how we were best friends. I even told him that I recently reconnected with you and that you're the one who helped me figure all of this out when I came across the picture."

"Did he try to deny it?"

"At first, yes but I could see it in his face. He knew exactly what I was saying the whole time. After a while of arguing, I just left him down there and went up to my room," I say, tearing up when I think about the way he looked at me. Almost as if he was dissapointed. "Anyways, I figured I wouldn't be able to sleep so my first instinct was to come here."

"Why?"

"You're kind of the only person I can trust right now. I just didn't want to be around people who lie to me because they think they're protecting me and it's not like Dawn cares whether or not I'm around."

"I'm sure that's not true," he says.

"It is," I whisper as I lean my head against his shoulder. "Would you mind if I stayed here for the weekend?"

"Of course not," he says. "You're welcome here anytime you want."

"Okay, would the pack mind?"

"They look up to me, remember?"

I laugh. "Thank you. I guess we should head back out there now, eh?"

"Let's stay here a while," he says and pulls me into a hug.