Chapter 6

Chapter 6           

“That a boy, just take it nice and easy…” I spoke softly to the giant gelding. I stroked his blazing neck gently, as he walked out strongly in the middle of the arena. He stretched his neck downward, and let his shoulders free up as I put slack in the rein and asked for impulsion. He knew my cues so well. After a good stretch, I carefully asked to have his head back. He held it just where it needed to be, and set off into a lovely, flowing trot. I did keep what Jared said in the back of my mind – At this point, Kiro WAS still a bit unpredictable. I trusted him completely, for some reason, but I knew that he was still, in fact, a horse.

Yet it was hard to think that the beauty could ever hurt me … His muscular black neck glistened in the light of the arena, like crystals dancing upon coal, diamonds forming from the black ash. His shoulders pulsed with energy, riveting and shocking the ground he would grace his powerful hooves over. Pushing off with such grace, to lift into the air and land again with such a beauty that could only be proven by sight. He truly danced through the air, with his entire body, his hindquarters driving the unstoppable force he presented. The gentle weight he put in my hands as he held the bit just so in his mouth was a contact to die for. He was truly spectacular to ride. I never wanted to get off.

We rode in all gaits, where he excelled. In the center of the arena was a small jump. It was a cross rail, in fact, but higher than yesterday’s. The center may have been about one foot off the ground. I thought back to my dream from yesterday. We were sailing over everything, and all of those jumps were hugely higher than the one I saw before me. He would likely just trot over the thing. No problem, right? Right … I convinced myself to give it a shot. Like a beginner, I timidly trotted toward the wooden setup. As we approached, I released my hands to his neck, and he did just as I expected – an easygoing trot. I smiled wide, patting Kiro with much enthusiasm. “That’s a boy! Good boy!”

I peered back to the cross rail. It was nothing … and easy clear. Maybe, just maybe, today could be different … maybe we could finally get over a vertical. I hopped off Kiro, and tied his reins, deciding to let him walk about the arena as he pleased as I would put the jump up. The arena was designed to be safe for a horse at liberty, so he wouldn’t hurt himself. I released the reins, and took off at a brisk walk. When I stopped at the jump, I turned around to find … Kiro! I was startled by the big black nose that was being pushed into my back at first, not expecting him to follow me. But next thing you knew, I was smiling wide, hugging the sweet horse. “You are such an angel…” I muttered into his long, flowing forelock. After a moment of peace, I turned back to the jump. I lay one pole on the ground, and lifted the other end of the other into the jump cup. The jump was now 2’. Years ago, this had been the height I showed in as I was just getting into competitive showing. It seemed like a short forever ago, really. I looked up and grinned at the big black horse, who had his nose just by my shoulder. “You want to help?” I chuckled, patted his neck, and walked around to his side. I hopped on, and took a look at the small jump. It was certaintly daunting. “Kiro …” I muttered his name, hoping to gain some confidence.

I trotted around the arena a few more laps, before popping into an easy, flowing canter. Around and around we went, and I still hadn’t made the slightest attempt at the jump in the center. I noticed this, took a large breath, and quickly decided it was time to change that. “20 seconds. Twenty seconds of courage, and we are over it,” I tried to convince myself. I eased the rein toward the standards, using my leg to push his shoulder into the direction. Coming at the fence now, I hear footsteps come, then stop. Trina must have been watching. 5 strides out now. Almost there, almost over the jump, and it was all downhill from there. Downhill … Flashes of the accident went through my mind. Kiro falling. Crashing. Crippled. My fault. No. 3 strides out, I turned him away from the jump. This startled him, not knowing what to do, considering he had positioned himself perfectly to take the jump. Angered by his forced failed attempt, he threw his head in the air in protest. “No Kiro, easy!” I pulled back on his reins and pushed him forward with my leg, hoping to drive his head down. Unfortunately, this wasn’t effective.

Kiro did respond to the leg. He cantered on faster, hollow, with his head sky-high. The position of him under me felt very similar to how he looked being ridden by Trina. This couldn’t be good. “Easy boy, easy now! Settle down, it’s okay!” I tried to turn the big black, but to no avail. Yet, he did drop his head. He then shook his nose, clearly displeased with my actions as a rider. I finally brought him back down to a walk, and patted him on the neck. Suddenly, I remembered my trainer’s presence. I turned to her, expecting exactly what I got out of her face – pursed lips, head down, and slowly moving side to side. She turned away from the arena, and continued doing her chores with Navy at her heels. He was silent as well.