Chapter 28

Chapter 28

My alarm clock started blatting its annoying cries at a ripe time of 4:00 AM the next morning. I slapped the snooze button a little harder than necessary, instantly regretting it as my ribs screamed out in protest to the sharp movement. “Ugh, why must I be so accident prone?” I whined to myself, slowly erecting myself to a sitting position. I rubbed my tired eyes, “and why must accident prone people have to wake up so dang early?” I stumbled about my room in the dim lighting, as I didn’t feel like blinding myself quite yet, and decided the lamp on the desk would be suffice. Thankful that my only stop today would be the barn, I threw on some comfortable sweats and a loose fitting, gray tee that read “Live Life at Full Gallop,” with the blue silhouette of a horse racing behind the black letters; my favorite outfit to wear around the barn. I threw my hair up into a messy bun and trudged downstairs quietly, slipping into my muck boots and taking a rest at the kitchen table, resting my head on my arms. Nobody in the house was up yet – Navy and mom didn’t awake until six for Navy’s school – so the house was peaceful and dark. I liked having the peace and quiet, and it had to be this early that we left for the barn so that Jared could get me back home before he left for school, so there wasn’t too much complaining that I could do. Not long had I been sitting there before my phone lit up, alerting me of Jared’s text that simply read “Here, you need help getting out the door?” I didn’t reply, simply pulled myself out of the chair and out the back door. I heaved the rental car’s door open, and slipped into the front seat.

I turned to look at Jared, and smile a thank you. His face seemed sympathetic, and he quietly muttered, “I suppose you didn’t need that help, huh? How you feeling this morning?” I shrugged a tiny shrug, for it ached to do any more. “I’m not too bad off. A little sore, but nothing I can’t live with. I’ve been broken worse,” I tried to use a joking voice to offset the slumbering mood, which caused Jared to snicker and roll his eyes before setting the car in gear and heading to the barn, “you’re crazy, Kat,” was all he could comment. The car ride was quiet. Both of us were quite tired still, and he even had to tap me gently to stir me when we arrived at the barn. “We’re here! Let me help you out of the car. No objections!” I simply smiled and returned the eye-roll, but decided to keep the protests in this time. I wouldn’t mind having the help at this point. He pulled me out of the car with careful gentleness, and we head into the barn.

We walked over to where the geldings were stalled, and I was pleased to see that Kiro’s sling had been brought down a bit, where he was standing on his hooves, and even able to gingerly walk over to the door, where his warm muzzle warmed my hands. I smiled like a little kid, loving the horse’s enthusiasm at getting better. I turned back to Jared, noticing that Kiro had been able to walk about a bit, “Is this sling on a track?” He nodded, “he’s in great care. This is the most advanced stall in the barn. Sling with tracks, everything is smoothed out to be kick and scratch proof, padded walls and double matted floors. The stall Northgate is in – the one next to it – has everything but the sling.” He walked next to me to rub Kiro’s face, “I figured this big guy needed some extra TLC.” He smiled, then walked to see Northgate. The big chestnut also whickered to his master, walking over and sticking his nose through the bars. “There’s my big handsome partner in crime,” he hummed to NG, patting him and checking him over visually.

I did the same for Kiro. I entered his stall, rubbing him over gently, careful not to press or pat too hard for I figured he’d be around as sore as I was. Kiro didn’t seem to show any pain though. He was really only happy to have me there; I could just tell. He never took an eye off me, slowly turning his neck as I went around the black’s massive body. His muscle mass really hadn’t deteriorated much, though he had lost a bit of fat. “You’re just a superstar!” I smiled, patting his cheek gently. “Such a good boy; I wish I could just stay here and visit you when I wanted,” I muttered to the horse as I closed his gate, wanting to never leave. Suddenly, Jared turned to me, as if light-bulbs flashed in his head.