Chapter Five

Luke

I sighed. Not wanting to explain something to him he'd never get.

"Octovain, there was a reason I left," I tell my little brother," and it went beyond Mom being a little messed up in the head or Dad being gone. You never heard about it because you were ten and it never applied to you. Mom wanted you to get involved but I didn't let her because when she would've dragged you in is when I snapped at her that last time and made up my mind that I had to leave. We fought all the time. We just tried to do it anywhere you weren't because it was something I knew would upset you. Mom tried to start fights to get you involved but I refused to fight them."

"So what happened?"

We both approached Cabin 3 and get inside. I helped him unpack as I told him the story.

"It was after school one day," I explained," 7th grade. And Mom picked me up like she always picked both of us up. You started basketball of you had something that day so we didn't pick you up until later. But when Mom started picking on me about how I was talking with a girl when she got there I asked her politely to just not say anything. Nothing happened, she was asking about homework being we had math together and she kept teasing me and you already knew or you found out a few days later about Jake. And she wouldn't stop and I must've asked two or three times after that but she didn't stop and so I snapped at her and told her I was gay."

According to what Octovain knew, Mom never knew that I was gay. That was our secret. He always supported me in it and said Jake, my boyfriend of the time before I left, and myself had been a cute couple. Mom wasn't home a lot between work, groups she was in, and appointments. So it was never a big deal that Octovain knew because Mom was home a couple hours a day when she wasn't sleeping and if he can keep his mouth shut for a few hours we were fine.

"I thought she didn't —"

"She wasn't supposed to find out," I agreed," not like that, at least. When I said it I thought she'd just tease me about talking with guys and she didn't. Mom took it in silence which terrified me and when I got home she beat the shit out of me and told me I couldn't leave the house unless it was for school anymore. We argued all the time about it. When friends would come over and ask if I was okay when I wasn't in school for a few days because Mom got so pissed off at me one day I almost ruined one of my lungs. She hit me that hard that I broke a few ribs and she almost punctured a lung. Threatened if I told anyone she'd kill whoever 'turned me' gay and then kill me. She said I can't be gay because she didn't want me to be. The original plan was to get you out of the house and come with Jake, myself, and like Mia. Their parents were just as abuse. Go somewhere safe and start a new life. But Mia ended up in the hospital and Jake was on house arrest to the point that he had a thing in his ankle for it and you didn't want to leave so they told me to take off on my own. Theyd catch up and I guess they never did. We could only keep in contact for so long. Eventually I met Thalia and eventually we found Annabeth. Not long after Grover found us and brought us to camp."

Octovain

I decided to go home for Labor Day. Luke didn't want to come and after what he told me, I didn't blame him. He actually was going to meet Percy's parents this weekend I'm pretty sure. They did tell everyone after a couple weeks of everyone just calming down again.

As always, when I get down there, Mom asks me if I found anything out about Luke. Jake, Mia, and their Dad was also here. Jake and Mia are demigods but their dad never wanted them to go to camp. Mom did, just when we were teenagers. Which Luke kind of left anyways but I went to Camp Jupiter. And I haven't gone home in about two or three years. Its been a few years. So she was excited to see and so were the other two. Mia was actually the one who asked about Luke. Mia's my age. Jake was Luke's age.