Chapter Fourteen

Atallah

Percy seemed fine the next day. A little more tired than usual, but okay. You could kind of tell something had set him off, though. From how he normally is. He did seem a little more depressed. Quieter.

Mom asked if he was fine, she heard about last night and he insisted he was fine, it was just a bad night and that was the end of the conversation. Morgan was already home and we quickly grabbed breakfast before heading to Albany. It was like a two-hour drive. Luke ran at 10 and we left at 7 so we could be there and say good luck before he started.

I really don't know the situation between Percy and Luke and I haven't asked because it's just not my spot. Because there was like four different stories and I haven't seen anything at home so I wasn't assuming anything. For sure I know they're good friends. I know that much. But I just get the vibe that maybe they're dating and I'm not sure if that's true or not so I haven't asked yet.

Anyways, we get to the meet and it's fucking huge. It was beautiful and it was an amazing day for running. Luke had to run a 5K so wish him luck, right?

Luke

My team doesn't believe I have a boyfriend.

And no, they could care less that I'm gay. We have a gender binary kid on a team and trans girl and so and so forth, right? One gay guy isn't a concern.

But they don't believe that I have a boyfriend.

"Is your imaginary boyfriend coming today?" Taylor asked me as were all picking on each other.

"You bet your ass he is," I told Taylor," he's not as fake as you guys would like to believe."

"Mhm."

Of course, none of them believe me and our friends and families start coming over to wish us luck. Max and Leah were first to find me, after them Sally and Paul, and lastly Percy.

When Percy gave me a kiss for good luck, promising he'd be at the finish line when I crossed, the whole team didn't want to believe it.

"My sister was going go to ask him out for Homecoming..." Roland remarked, just as confused as everyone else," how do you guys... How did you even meet?"

I laughed at their immediate responses. It was hilarious how confused they were.

"Our parents sent us to the same summer camp years ago," I told them," it's a weird story."

Anyways, they let it go and we did our running for a day. We all did really good, set a school record, and all PR'd. So that was a positive note. 

But probably five minutes after I finished running, this kid passed the finish line in like 23rd place or something, took a gun out from somewhere, and shot himself. 

People are in mid shot and people coming across the finish line are freaking out and everything is just stopped instantly. This kid, probably 15, just shot himself after finishing his race. 

So what the hell, right? 

Of course, the paramedics are on break or whatever and nobody is doing anything. So after a few, probably 30, seconds, Percy and I both bolt up there. Gods know how many wounds we've both had to take care of before. 

You learn a thing or two from you know... fighting two wars... and surviving hell itself. 

"What are they doing?" I heard Tyler ask Percy's mother and step-father. 

"The question is: Do they know what they're doing?" Leah adds on that. 

"Trust me," Sally assured them," your brother and Luke know what they're doing. I wouldn't imagine it's the first time something like this has happened to be dealt with by at least one of them."