~ three ~

T H R E E

                                    • • • • • •

I followed Rick quickly out of the house, closing the door behind me as I left Deanna's place. He kept pace infront me, curls even curlier on the back of his head. I silently moved behind him, keeping in pace with his footsteps but struggling slightly as his legs were longer than my own. I felt intimidated by how much authority he held, how valued he was as a part of this place. People watched him as he walked past, almost looking scared of him. I presumed his group had joined not too long ago, just from the way he held himself when people walked past, and the way people stared at him, then me.

"Why'd you offer me a place in your house?" I asked. Rick didn't bother turning round.

"Why are you questioning it?"

"I just find it a bit strange, considering you hated me yesterday."

"I didn't hate you. I have a family here, one that needs protected. You were a threat."

I scoffed slightly, running a hand though my hair.

"I'm half your height, and can barely keep myself up on my feet, and you're telling me I'm a threat?"

"You could've had a group."

"Even after I told you I didn't, you were still pretty cold."

"You'd be the same."

"Why are you letting me into your house if I'm a threat? Bit stupid, considering you have a family."

Rick stopped unexpectedly, causing me to crash into his solid back. I stumbled back, slightly dazed and confused. He turned round, moving closer to my eye level as he tilted his head to the side, raising his hand towards me slightly.

"Look. I was decent enough to give you somewhere to stay, I could've gotten you kicked out instead. Stop the questions."

Eye contact didn't break between us as Rick spoke to me, a hard expression across his face. I chewed the inside of my lip. He was right, what he'd done for me was nice. If he hadn't given a good opinion on me, I could've been sent back out there.

"Sorry." I mumbled. He looked at me for a few more seconds, before nodding slightly, motioning towards one of the houses at the end of one of the many streets in this place.

"That's our house."

Our house. It had a nice ring to it. I could get used to hearing that, thinking that everytime I walk past it. It was large just like the rest of the houses in the community, the wooden panels a bluey grey type of colour, the rims of the windows and porch a creamy white. The window shutters corresponded nicely with the grey panels, a slightly darker tone. The doors were a mustard yellow, quite welcoming. The whole house in general had a homey, welcoming vibe to it.

Rick turned towards me, crossing his arms slightly.

"I wanted you to stay with us so I can keep an eye on you."

"You're gonna keep an eye on me? I'm 15, I can do that myself."

"Yeah, but you're still a teenager, aren't you?You might still fuck something up. If you're in my house, I can keep tabs on you, and keep my family safe at the same time."