Chapter 17

"Where exactly are we going?" Dusty asked dubiously as Kyera led her up the stairwell of her dorm building.

"You'll see," she replied mysteriously.

"I'm missing the Kappa Primadonna party for this, so whatever you want to show me had better be good," Dusty teasingly threatened her.

"I'm sorry to have pulled you away from all the feather boas and fakery, but I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by what I'm going to show you."

"I better be." Dusty continued to follow Kyera up the stairs, internally bursting with excitement to see the previously mentioned surprise.

Kyera Aroura was many things, but she was not in the least bit romantic, or so Dusty believed. During their brief courtship of three weeks, which had included several cinema dates, they'd made out and held hands but nothing more to suggest that they were getting serious.

Kyera just didn't seem like a romantic sort of girl. She resented chick flicks and their apparent perpetuation of an unobtainable fairy-tale myth. Dusty liked her honest opinions, but she was embarrassed to tell her that, like all girls, deep down she yearned to be a princess, if only for a moment, but she feared that if she knew that, she'd think her weak and ordinary.

"We're almost there." Kyera reached the top of the stairwell and paused.

"You've taken me to the roof of your dorm building?" Dusty noted.

"Oh ye of so little faith," Kyera scoffed before pushing against the door, which reluctantly opened, letting in some of the refreshing coolness of the evening air. Kyera stepped out purposefully on to the open rooftop with Dusty gingerly following behind. She glanced around, wondering why she'd brought her to the roof.

There was nothing but tarmac and darkness, but then her heart froze in her chest in elated glee. In the center of the roof, was a blanket, surrounded by candles, flickering in the faint breeze. On the blanket were two pillows, upon which lay a solitary rose.

"Oh, Kyera," Dusty gasped, barely able to speak.

"Don't get all girly on me," Kyera warned, unable to completely drop her tough exterior.

She took Dusty by the hand and led her over to the blanket, instructing her to lie down next to her, both their heads resting upon a pillow. Dusty nuzzled in close to her, and Kyera planted a soft kiss upon her forehead. "I brought you here because I want you to look up," she whispered.

Immediately Dusty cast her eyes towards the heavens and let out a soft breath in awe. "It's beautiful." It was a clear night, and above them, there was nothing but stars. It was like a magical tapestry hanging above their makeshift bed.

"I come up here sometimes to think," Kyera explained in a rare revealing moment. "Looking up at the stars helps me focus, helps me understand things."

"They seem so close," Dusty uttered, bewitched by their beauty.

"They seem even closer from the roof of a twenty-seven-story high-rise," Kyera mused.

"Is that where you live at home, in a high-rise?" Dusty turned briefly to look at Kyera, who was still gazing upward. Her mouth tightened when she heard her question. She was always cagey whenever she asked her about home. It was clearly a topic she didn't enjoy discussing.

"I thought you'd enjoy seeing them," she said after a long pause, ignoring her question. "I wanted to share this spot with you because it reminds me that there is beauty and good in the world. That's how I feel about you." Kyera turned to look at Dusty, her gaze intense. "Am I going to sound like a complete tool if I say that I'm falling for you?" Kyera asked, her openness making her seem irresistible to Dusty.

The starlight shone down favorably on her features, making her eyes seem dark and intense and her cheeks chiseled to perfection. Reaching up, Dusty ran her hand through Kyera dark long hair. "You don't sound like a tool." She smiled seductively at her. "Besides, I've already fallen for you."

Kyera broke the distance between them in a heartbeat, and they began kissing passionately. Dusty, beneath her on the blanket, murmured in pleasure as their tongues danced together in their mouths. Dusty felt her heart compelling her to take things further, unable to restrain her desire for Kyera.

She reached up and navigated her way to the zipper of her jeans and then gently, carefully began to undo them. Understanding the gesture, Kyera kissed her, leaning back briefly to take off her shirt. Dusty followed suit and hurriedly cast aside her own T-shirt as Kyera skillfully undid her bra and threw it aside.

Her warm hands cupped Dusty breasts, and she groaned in delight. Within a few more moments, they were completely naked together, though Kyera wrapped the blanket around them, cocooning them together in their own nest. At the point of no return, Kyera paused, looking deep into Dusty's eyes.

"You're so beautiful," she said.

"I love you," Dusty admitted, certain of the feelings she felt for her, the feelings they were now expressing physically. And there, beneath the stars, they made love for the first time, and it was the most erotic moment of both of their lives.