23

Theodosia

"I do wish you could have become engaged sooner," the countess complained as they promenaded down a long gravel path in Hyde Park. "It's getting frightfully cold now and people are fleeing to the country in droves. If only we could have announced in June..."

Theodosia pressed her lips together tightly and forced herself not to respond. She had always held out hope that her mother understood her somewhat. That she was on her side. That hope had died completely the night of her engagement.

Instead, she focused on the magical feel of Hyde Park in autumn. Black wrought iron lanterns lit the path and the leaves of the beech trees lining the path had burst into a glorious marigold color. There was a slight chill breeze but Theodosia managed to stave it off thanks to her deep blue velvet coatdress, a new acquisition.

The last couple of days since they had landed in London had been a whirlwind of social events — card games, Venetian breakfasts, musical evenings, and plenty of rides in the park with society ladies.

She turned back to see Edward walking with her father, deep in conversation. Ahuil trailed behind, splendid in a new livery. The Earl had 'given' Ahuil to Edward as an engagement present (if one can give a person to another) and Edward never went anywhere without his handsome valet who drew incredible attention and admiration from all quarters — especially the ladies.

Ahuil's eyes lifted to meet hers. They hadn't had a chance to speak since that night he had snuck into her room. She was incredibly relieved that he had been able to come to London and she kept looking for openings to speak to him. But so far she hadn't had a moment to herself. From morning to night she was eating, sitting in uncomfortable chairs, making small talk, and trying to avoid Edward.

Theodosia tried to pretend like, at that very moment, she was walking the fields of Helenshire — a hard feat given the meticulous landscaping of Hyde Park and fleet of carriages trundling down the lanes. The countess had wanted to take an open carriage but Theodosia had managed to convince her they would be best seen on foot. The truth was that she was rather dying to stretch her legs.

There was at least she had something to look forward to: they were going to the opera that night and Ahuil would be in attendance. Although Theodosia couldn't play a note of music properly or sing she loved plays and operas. The performance that night would be of the highly revered Artaxerxes, a tale of love, betrayal and murder set in Persia around 465 BC. It was to be staged at none other but the spectacular Drury Lane, a historic theatre for English-language productions.

Once enough society people had seen their new clothes, they took the carriage back to the Stafford London house in the fashionable Mayfair neighborhood right by Hyde Park. It was an impressive residence with intricate stone carvings and many white Grecian columns that set off the red brick underneath. Still, Theodosia found it cold, more designed to impress than to be comfortable.

She spent the early evening holed up in her dressing room with Sarah, having her hair set in meticulous ringlets. She was dressed in yet another white empire waist dress that was tied with a blue silk ribbon. Drop sapphire earrings glinted on her ears.

Her anticipation increased as the carriage rumbled towards the theatre, where they would meet the Mertons. Theodosia hated that Ahuil was staying with Edward and his family in their London house. It was only a block over but she loathed the fact that she didn't get to see him as often. It almost made the prospect of marriage appetizing — if that is what would allow her to see Ahuil every day.

Once at the theatre, they were ushered into the coffee room where the cream of society was mingling. Immediately, the few good memories from Theodosia's summer spent in London during her coming out flooded back.