30

Ahuil

He stood at the edge of one of the fields, looking toward the village in the distance. At one point, he had felt comfortable enough to go into any of the shops there and talk with whomever he pleased. He could almost convince himself that he belonged there.

Now, he was looking again at the village through the eyes of a foreigner, someone who didn't belong. He hadn't made up his mind yet about Theodosia's proposal yet something was already tugging at his heart and taking him away from that place.

That something was a dream. A dream of his world the way it used to be — before the half-beings pushed their way in. Before it was dangerous. Before he had to worry about what his people thought of him or was charged with their survival. A time when he could spend the entire morning fishing in the river that wound through a thicket of beech trees, watching the silver fish darting among the water-smoothed stones. Or the quiet evenings spent walking among the trees as the moonlight poured down with only the owls as company.

His heart lay in that world and the freedom it offered.

Xochitl came to stand beside him. She looked calmly towards the village with her dark brown eyes.

"Here to impart wisdom on me?" Ahuil said.

She chuckled. "Always. You really think you're going to figure this out on your own? And, obviously, I'm the only one you can talk to."

"I just need time to think..."

Xochitl sighed impatiently. "Listen, I don't have all day. Unlike some people I have a child to care for and a million dishes to wash. So let's skip the dramatics and get to the heart of things, shall we?"

Ahuil looked at her sharply. "You don't mince words, do you?"

"I don't even know what that means. Listen Ahuil, you're never going to be happy here in the long term. I mean, you're having fun pretending to fit in here now. It's like a game you keep winning at. Everyone thinks you're good-looking and charming. But it's not going to take long before the rules and expectations start grinding on you. I mean, for heaven's sake, you used to live in a tree by yourself. Are you really willing to give up that kind of freedom forever?"

"I heard that it's different in America," Ahuil said defensively. "That a man can still live without government, stake his own land, live his own life."

"Yet that's not without dangers and we'd have to spend months on a ship. If we ever wanted to cross back to our world we'd have to endure that trip again, if we even survived it."

Ahuil crossed his arms. "It sounds like you don't want to stay here."

She stared him down. "Damn right I don't. Sure, I do all right in my cottage and I like working on the farm. But the pressure is on to marry, to join the church, and to act more like the women around here. I miss hunting, Ahuil. I miss my home and the river. I miss doing and saying what I want."

"And what about Yoltzin?"

Xochitl looked a bit uncomfortable. "I know, I know. She loves school here. But our world is our home. And if Louisa came with us, she would have a friend who remembered this part of her life. Theodosia can teach them lessons. Yoltzi would adapt. She's still young."

"Have you asked her what she wants?"

"Of course I have," Xochitl flashed. "She says she just wants to be with her mommy."

They stood in silence for a moment. "So what are you going to tell Theo?" Xochitl finally asked.

Ahuil looked at her for a moment. "I want to go back." He sighed. "You're right. I don't fit in here. I was just thinking about all the things I miss at home and how I might never have them again. And how much I would be willing to risk to get them ... the answer is a lot, Xochi. It's like asking me what I'd do to breathe again. Anything at all."

Xochitl broke into a big smile and nudged him with her elbow. "I'm glad to hear it because I'm not going anywhere without you. And I sure as heck don't want t stay here."

Ahuil returned her smile, then scanned the fields. "I hope Theo gets back soon. I'm starting to worry about her."

"Don't you fret, Theo's a big girl." She paused. "It she's not back by the evening I'll go in search of her."

"Should I be worried?"

"You'll worry no matter what I say. Here, stop looking over the fields like a lovesick deer. Come help me with the dishes. That'll put your mind off things."

**

The knock on the door immediately propelled Ahuil out of his seat by the fire and straight to the door. Theodosia stood on the other side, her hand firmly holding that of her little sister.

"Is this the new world?" Louisa asked, looking up at Theodosia with those big blue eyes of hers.

Her sister laughed. "No my love, we're still in Helenshire. This is Harriet and Emily's cottage — you've met them before, remember? You can call them Xochitl and Yoltzin now. Those are their real names."

Louisa went inside timidly. "Hello Anthony," she said, looking up at him and holding out her hand to shake.

"And you can call me Ahuil," he said, shaking her hand seriously.

Her eyes went big. "I've never heard such names before."

Yoltzin skipped up and took her hand, utterly without fear. "My name is easy. "Yolt-zin. Yoltzin. Come, I want to show you my dollies," she announced and they settled by the fire together.

Ahuil looked down into Theodosia's eyes. They were red and lined underneath. Without a word, Ahuil took Theodosia's cloak and hat and made her sit by the fire. She was watching him intently as he put her things aside and brought her a hot cup of tea.

"Well?" she said after taking a long sip.

"You're just like Xochitl — you get straight to the point."

She made a face at him. "When my life's hanging in the balance of said point, yes I do. I just said goodbye to Sarah and the estate forever. I kidnapped my sister. Soon I'm going to have to leave Helenshire, the only home I've ever really know. I'm terrified and I would love to know what will happen to us."

The fire crackled in the hearth. Ahuil reached out and took her hands in his large, rough ones. "I think you already know."

Her face brightened. "We''ll go back to your world?"

He nodded. Tears sprang to her eyes and she leapt into his arms and buried her face in his neck. Tears of relief slid down her face. Ahuil stiffened.

"I'm guessing those are ... happy tears?"

"Yes. Yes! It's everything I've hoped for."

"You have to be ready," he said seriously, pulling back and looking into her eyes. "Theo, we have no way of knowing that things will be fine. It could be too dangerous. We may have to come back."

"I have to hope," she whispered. "I have to hope that we can go back to the way things were."

Xochitl pulled up a chair and joined them. "Sorry to disrupt this lovers' chat but we have to leave tonight. We're already running out of time. It's dangerous to stay here much longer."

Her friends nodded in silent agreement.

"Is he your new fiancée?" Louisa said all of a sudden, standing beside them, holding one of Yoltzin's dolls. She watched this show of affection with something like alarm.

Theodosia laughed. "No, my dear. Only Edward Merton could be a fiancée. Ahuil is something much better — he is the man I love."

"So you won't marry him?" Louisa looked over at Yoltzin with wide eyes. "That really is shocking."