chapter three

☆

☆.。.:* The Manor .。.:*☆

The feeling of being twisted in countless directions, of having her skin pulled, bones bending. It was a guttural feeling, one she despised deeply. Though apparating was their only way to reach the manor. They had been silent when Hermione had said her final goodbyes. She'd shed a tear or so, but she will always be welcomed in their home...She could always come back.

    Hermione felt her vision be restored, her eyes adjusting to the light, and her legs settling once more. Only for her eyes to settle at the towering mansion before her.

     She gapped up, having to tilt her head back to fully view the extensive manor. It was more like a castle than anything. Cream-colored walls, that rose high into the blue sky. She'd never seen such a wondrous structure, there were numerous stories, several towers on the west and east side. The manor had various windows with pale curtains hanging from inside. Words can't describe the beauty of the manor. She turned her attention towards her left, a large field, stretching towards the large bone-white walls surrounding the manor. twirling behind her, from the distance of the field, she potted a tall iron gate. Such magnificent structures.

    "This. Is beautiful." Hermione whispered. Valeriana Zabini smiled, such a welcoming, gentle face.
         "I'm glad you think so."
The three steadily made their way through the field, towards the castle. The closer she got to the doors, the wearier she became.

     With Valeriana walking ahead of them, Hermione whispered to Blaise.
"How many people live here?" Hermione tried masking her amusement.
    "Quite a few, if I must admit."
She stopped dead in her tracks. With Blaise halting beside her.
  "You'll be fine," He said gently.

A few people. Not only would she be living with the Zabini's but also a number of other, strangers. She balked at the thought of living under the same roof as the people she fought against, in the war.
   "Hermione, you don't have to worry." He repeated, hesitantly, he grabbed her arm to lead her to the remaining steps towards the manor.
  "I- I can't do this." She gently whispered.
"You can, Granger. Trust me." Blaise gave a comforting squeeze to her arm as he dropped his grip.

   A breath, then another to steady her racing heart. She would do this. She'd endured so much already. This, she'll be able to face. She has to.

     With a click, Valeriana unlocked the large wooden doors. Revealing a large foyer. A grand staircase at its center. On either side of the foyer, revealed prolonged hallways leading to god knows where. The room was decorated elegantly with warm contrasting colors, beige walls along with golden details surrounded her. Enriched with glass ornaments and furniture. A sparkling chandelier signifying the wealth and status these people held. Such elegant beauty.

Still stuck in her haze, Hermione failed to notice the woman who had entered the foyer.
   "Val." A woman with a mix of grayish-gold and black hair called out.

Narcissa Malfoy.

Hermione immediately felt her blood run cold upon hearing the woman's voice. She dared look at her, dressed in a pale white gown.

The last Hermione had seen her was in the Great Hall. She had avoided them after the battle, even after they had fled. Many were still worried about the fact that they had been welcomed to stay during the aftermath.

   When she'd last seen her, the woman had been drained of color. Her grey eyes were a cool stone upon her beautiful face. Her face was weary and hardened. Hermione could still remember the gratefulness in her eyes as she held Draco. Her husband, as much of a bastard that he was, also had a look of relief when he sat with his family.

     It was the only time Hermione had witnessed the Malfoy display any sort of loving emotions.
And here Narcissa stood. Bright-eyed, well-rested, and was once again filled with light. Upon seeing Hermione, her eyes had clouded with -what she could've sworn- was guilt.
      "Narcissa." Valeriana greeted as she began approaching the witch.

"What brings her here?" She asked, sliding another glance at Hermione.

Then it struck her, why would the Malfoys be here?
"This is...her." A gasp escaped Narcissa's lips. Narcissa examined Hermione very thoroughly as if searching for something, then suddenly, her eyes had widened.

   Hermione remembered the memory that her mother had shown her. Narcissa Malfoy had known her as a child.
    "It's best we discuss this with everyone else."
With a nod, Narcissa hurriedly walked off.

Valeriana turned to Hermione and Blaise. Slight amusement sparking in the latter's eyes.

   "Show Hermione to her room, Blaise, help her unpack. Then come to the dining hall. We all have much to discuss." Valeriana huffed, with a slight smile, she strode off to where Narcissa had disappeared to.

    "If you'd told me the Malfoys were living here, I would've never left my room," Hermione replied drily.
   "Which is why I didn't tell you before." He returned, then began climbing up the steps.

They passed so many rooms. Blaise had been acting as if he was a tour guide, which had slightly improved Hermione's mood. He'd been showing her various rooms and at the mention of a library, she'd insisted he take her there after lunch.
   That was another issue. To have lunch with a number of pureblooded families, who had despised her and most likely still do, seeing as they were unaware of the current circumstances.

"With such talk of several people residing here, they're rather evasive," Hermione stated. It was a true statement, she hadn't seen a single person.
   Blaise only shrugged. "Busy people they all are."

The halls were decorated with numerous paintings. Paintings absolutely everywhere.
       "Who else, exactly, resides here?" Hermione asked, her eyes wandered, the fascinating paintings of famous wizards. Hermione didn't recognize some of them, though, with her study of the pureblood families, she distinguished some of the more notorious names. 
   "Just us and two other families," Blaise muttered, instantly catching Hermione's attention.

      "Which two?"

Blaise's throat bobbed, taking a nervous glance behind him.

  "Well you know, the Malfoys and the Notts."

I changed Harmony Zabini's name to Valeriana, so please tell me if I missed one.