Chapter 5- Atlas

A violent crash threw glass shards and wooden splinters all over the dark corridor. Guards clad in cyan full body armor rushed forward from the ends of the hallway with swords drawn, to be met with an enormous figure covered by a dark cloak. Five from each side, I can't take them all on... Come on boss... The shadowy warrior let a heavy war hammer drop down and hit the marble floor, its head creating a high-pitched resonating sound. I need to buy a few seconds. With one hand, Atlas raised the hammer up high, almost hitting the ceiling. The head was massive, measuring almost half a meter whichever way you looked at it. With a shattering force it crashed down, trembling both wielder and foes. The stone beneath broke, as did the momentum of the patrols. Keeping them distracted was essential, but if he couldn't make his play in time the mission would fail.

BOOM! A deafening explosion shook the upper floor. "What the hell is going on?!" Atlas grinned. That monster... Seeing the pursuers' hesitation Atlas sprinted and broke through a large wooden door and into an even bigger empty bedroom. The only light was the one shining through the window on the other end of it. The pale moonlight reflected on the metal bed frame and glass panes of a large dresser. It was as lavish as expected, befitting of a true noble, of a ruler. You're not here for him yet. Stick with what you're here to do; you'll get your chance, the boss promised. The guards followed in, crowding the entrance. "Drop the hammer and you will be shown mercy!" One of them ordered. "You have nowhere to go, put down your weapon!" She turned away. "Come and get me, dogs!" Atlas taunted, throwing a bottle of red paint at the wall and dashing towards the window. The men followed, ignoring a second explosion.

Leaping through a window once more, the cloaked Atlas landed in a large grassy courtyard, surrounded by walls on all sides. In the center, a sculpture of two fish forming a circle stood tall; next to it was a metal table with two chairs placed under it. There were four ways out, one large door that would lead to the main hall of the manor, and three others that led back into the corridors. Atlas took another bottle of red paint and threw it at the fish statue. What's the point of doing this anyway...? Another explosion rattled the large door leading to the main hall. Guards rushed in from both sides of the courtyard and began surrounding Atlas. "Shit," She hissed. The boss said no fighting, but there-s no way out.

Atlas readied herself for combat, letting her hammer drop down until she was grasping the end of the handle with her right hand. She was surrounded, but luckily none of her opponents had ranged weapons; it would be just like in the Pits. Letting out a thunderous roar, she charged forward towards the main hall doors; just before they burst open. Everyone froze, watching the smoke and dust ooze out from the doorway as a slim figure clad in black stepped out with slow, magnanimous steps, his arms held out and his head tilted forward, with a mask covering the lower part of his face. Boss... "Well don't just stand there, come on!" He invited. Atlas rushed towards the doorway, the guards ignored the unarmed man and moved to intercept her. Damn... The man leapt over the guards towards Atlas. "Mind the landing." He grabbed her arm with both hands and pulled. Atlas jumped as hard she could, their combined forces shooting her over the guards and right through the smoky hallway.

In the blink of an eye he dashed after her, both taking off towards the main gate. As he caught up, Boss asked: "How many bottles do you have on you?" Atlas mounted the war hammer back on her back and felt for the bottles in the pouch she kept on her belt. "Two, I'm lucky they didn't break." "Bedroom wall and the statue?"

"Yes."

"Good, give me the other two, and take out the Cordyceps. We're bolting after this." Atlas handed him the bottles and took out a mushroom from her pouch. Boss threw one of the bottles at the main wooden door before the two of them kicked it open. As they passed through the garden, the guards at the gate moved to stop them. "Now!" Boss ordered. Atlas ate the mushroom in one bite. It was a gift from the boss, and it amplified her strength immeasurably. He never told her how nor where he had found such an amazing item, and he wasn't willing to share. She didn't like the secrecy, but he seemed as trustworthy as they came; even if that didn't mean much to her. Atlas felt her clothes and hammer grow weightless and started gaining speed. Both her and Boss jumped high enough to vault over the main gate and land outside the City Lord's walls. Boss turned around and flung the last bottle at the sigil carved into the stone above the metal gate. It displayed the same two fish as the statue inside the manor.