Chapter 38

Justin's POV

"Baby talk to me, help me, come on," I pleaded, scooting my chair inch by inch closer to the banged up couch. The plastic chair bent and molded as I got closer to the couch; one leg completely bent in and providing no support as I got in reach of Demi.

"I-I," she started, her hands trembling.

"Please," I begged, "You can do this baby, all you have to do is spit on my hands." I needed some kind of lubricant so that I could slip my hands out of the handcuffs. Seeing as there was no key in sight it was the only thing I could think of in the small amount of time we had.

"Jus," she croaked, reaching for my hands weakly. Her legs twitched and she whimpered in pain as she built up as much spit in her mouth as she could.

"That's it baby," I encouraged, my eyes widening in fear, "You can do it!" The smell was growing stronger and I knew we only had moments before the building would catch fire. The small amount of saliva stuck to my dry hands. I wiggled them around for a moment, hoping that somehow I could slip them through the metal.

"F-fire!" Demi screeched, coughing as I finally looked up. Half the room was set ablaze and the temperature increased ten times more. Flames with shades of orange and red tore through every item they came near, the final result leaving a thick black ash on the ground.

"Okay just stay calm, we're gonna get out of here baby," I promised. Using all my strength I pulled my hands through the metal, probably breaking bones in the process.

"Owww!" I cried, struggling to pick Demi's limp body up in my arms.

"G-go!" she ordered, the fire catching up to us quickly. Beams began to crash to the ground, too close for comfort.

"I"m not leaving you!" I sobbed, using everything in me to pick her up and cradle her against my chest, "Cover your face!" She buried her face in my shirt while I used my jacket to protect her body and to cover my own face. Tears streamed down my bruised cheeks as I sprinted to the door, narrowingly avoiding items crashing to the ground. I stumbled a few times but got right back up and ran to the metal door. Stupid Justin, the man locked it. The only option we had left was to break a window. My lungs filled with smoke as I kicked at a window near the door. The fire was inches away from setting us ablaze.

"FUCKING BREAK!!!" I cried, kicking it with all my might. The glass shattered into a million pieces on the ground, some cutting through my thin soles leaving my feet to bleed. Blood was streaming down Demi's face and my face but I wasn't sure what caused the damage. It could've been anything.

"This is gonna hurt Demi, I have to do it, I'm so sorry." I apologized, throwing her through the window before jumping out myself. My legs gave out from underneath me as I hit the painfully warm grass and I fell limp next to Demi. Trees around us caught fire quickly.

"Open your eyes baby," I pleaded, tapping her face gently. She groaned and rested her head on my chest before letting her eyes shut completely. As much as I struggled I just couldn't get up, all I could do was pray that we would somehow survive. I could faintly make out the sound of sirens in the distance but honestly I wasn't sure if I was hallucinating or not.

"I love y-you." I coughed, weakly placing a kiss on Demi's forehead before everything slowly faded to black.