Chapter 1: The Death of Everything

1

I SHALL start this story when I was a little girl, and it was Christmas. I have reasons for why I want to start the story at a very early point in my life, and the reason is that you won't comprehend what had happened to me; everything I went through. And you must have this knowledge to completely understand the whole story. So please, just bare with me for a couple of minutes.

Anyways, I was a little girl, and like them all I was excited to receive presents, but Halloween was still way better than Christmas. My parents was divorced, and I was living with my mum in New Orleans at the time, but lately she has been ill. She looked horrible that Christmas morning; the worst she has ever been. She was utterly pale and couldn't even walk straight.

I started tearing away the paper that was attached to the presents. I shall always remember this as one of the last happy moments of my mortal life, before my father took my happiness all away. My mum was sitting down, breathing heavily, while I looked at my presents.

After I was finished, we went to the kitchen and I sat down for breakfast. As I watched my mum struggle, trying her best to take care of me, I took pity on her, and there was nothing I could do to be of any help. I didn't know how to take care of myself yet, much less someone else.

My mum came to the table, and poured me and herself some tea. She had salt instead of sugar and was about to put a spoon full in hers.

"Mum, that's salt," I told her, as I looked at her, worried.

"What? Oh, yeah. I'm sorry. I-I can't think straight right now," she said tiredly, as she went to exchange the salt for the sugar.

After she put sugar in her tea, she started cooking our breakfast. When she came back to the table, she placed in front of me food that had garlic in it. She usually eats this, but I can't, so she usually gets me something else to eat.

"Mum, I can't eat that. I'm allergic to garlic," I reminded her.

She look at it for a moment before saying, "Oh, yeah. I'm sorry, I forgot."

As she picked up my plate and started carrying it away, she fell to the ground. I ran to her, and kneeled beside her. I was worried; very, very worried about her. I tried to shake her awake, hoping that she is okay; she never made any signs of movement. I rolled her over, so she can lay on her back.

"Mum? Please wake up," I implored, as tears escaped from my eyes and ran down my cheeks. "Please, be alright. Don't die! I need you! Please!"

I kept shaking her, imploring, and crying for her to come back, but that didn't quite work.

                                                                        2

I SOON found myself with her at the hospital. I was still crying, not sure what I could do without her. I watched in silence as the doctors examined her, trying to find out what could be wrong with her. They told us that she would be okay in a couple of days before; they were conspicuously wrong. I was never quite a fan of any doctor; they think they know everything, and they some times let you down, after they get your hopes up. After they were finished, they didn't seem too happy.

"Is she going to be okay?" I asked, even if I already knew the answer.

"It doesn't look like it," one of the doctors said, as if he was afraid to find out how would I respond to the truth.