The Message

(Merlin's Point of View)

Things went back to nearly the same routine that they had before I left. There were a few things that were different, and I knew that no matter how long I lived, I would never get used to them. When people passed me in the streets, the bowed their heads to me and greeted me with the utmost respect. Also, because they knew that I was with Arthur, they treated me differently. They probably thought that I would get them into serious trouble if they offended me or something like that.

Despite all of that, I wouldn't have traded any of it for the way life had been before. I had gotten everything that I had ever wanted, and then some. I was with the guy of my dreams, he was happy about being with me and made no qualms about it being public knowledge, and he accepted my magic, even though he was taught to hate it with his entire being.

Speaking of said man, I was currently looking at him soaking in the tub. I was leaning against the door frame, and just watching as all of the tension was drained from his body. I smiled when he opened his eyes and spotted me. He smiled lazily back at me, beckoning me over. I went to him willingly.

"So, Merlin, how has life been treating you now that you are both my consort and Court Sorcerer?" Arthur drawled, and I chuckled. I was one of the only people who got to see him like this, completely at ease.

"Well, I have a nagging feeling that everyone is scared to talk bad about me. There are benefits to being the consort of the King." I said with a mischievous smile. Arthur grinned wickedly back.

"Nah, all in all, it is pretty good. Everyone treats me a bit differently, but I can handle that. Nothing much has really changed. I still have my friends, my love, and my life. What more could I ask for?" I asked. Arthur smiled sweetly at me. I smiled back, and pushed my sleeves up, dipping my hands into the water. I grabbed the washcloth and started washing Arthur.

"What do you think you're doing Merlin? How about you get your butt in here with me and take a bath. I can practically feel the tension in you. You need to relax." He said, and I grinned, thinking that it wouldn't be that bad of an idea.

I went behind his changing screen and stripped out of my clothes, shivering at the slight cold that permeated the air. I really needed to stoke the fire in the grate, and I did so without even moving a muscle, my magic flaring to life. I let off a contented smile at the fact that I no longer had to hide my magic. I heard Arthur yelp, and I could practically feel the daggers in my back. I grinned cheekily, poking my head around the corner.

"Something the matter Arthur?" I asked, and sure enough, he was glaring at me. I laughed merrily, and as I watched, his facial features softened.

"While I'm fine with you having magic Merlin, next time, would you please warn me before you use it. Damn near scared me to death." Arthur said, and I nodded my head happily.

"'Course Arthur. Anything for you." I said, and I meant it. I would have done anything for my king. I walked over to him, not bothering to hide my nudity, though I was sure that Arthur didn't mind. Especially if the way he was looking at me was any clue.

"Stop staring Arthur." I said firmly, though I was still smiling. He blinked and looked up at me sheepishly, a light blush covering his cheeks.

"Sorry, you just look so beautiful, I can't help but stare." He said, and I rolled my eyes. Leave it to him to be the hopeless romantic in our relationship.

I dipped into the tub with Arthur, maneuvering so that I could lean my back on his chest. I let the warm water work its magic, drawing out all of the tension in my body like it was a poison. I needed this more than I cared to admit.