Chapter 8

Remember this is a short story

Chapter 8: I Plead The Fifth

--

"200 hours of community service

"200 hours of community service." The judge said as he banged his gavel.

Miko sighed in relief as her mother rubbed her shoulder.

"What!? That's it!?" Stephanie's father yelled in anger.

"Please escort Mr. and Ms. Gibson out of my courtroom." The judge said dismissing them.

"I told you that you'll be okay honey." Amari comforted as they stood up from the uncomfortable wooden seats.

"It was a pleasure defending Ms. Abeni, take care and please stay out of trouble." Their lawyer, Harley said.

"Oh, she will Harley. Thank you so much." Amari said as they parted ways.

Miko's heart finally started to beat at a steady pace.

She didn't really think Stephanie would take them to court when she was the one who escalated the fight.

Stephanie's head finally went back to normal from the knots and her bruises were slowly healing.

Miko and her mother both walked out of the court house and made their way down the many stairs.

"Miko!" A deep familiar voice yelled.

Miko looked up to see August running towards her.

"No no no no." Miko panicked.

She didn't want him to meet her mother.

"Who is that?" Amari asked frowning.

Miko sighed and walked up a little halfway meeting August.

"What are you doing here?" Miko whispered.

August chuckled. "I had to come support my girl." He shrugged as he stuffed his hands in his jeans.

"Your girl?" Miko questioned.

August laughed nervously. "Yeah. You ma homie."

Miko sighed.

She liked August so much, but she had to accept that fact that August didn't look at her in the way she looked at him.

"Oh ..right. Well I'm okay. I'll see you in school tomorrow." Miko rushed