The Stolen Tape

"Quick! Run!" Callie shouted as the girls laughed their way down the street. "That was a close one" Callie said between her fits of laughter. 

"Did you get it?". Layla asked roughly as she attempted to regain her breath. There was a glimmer of evil in Callie's eyes and a smirk drew across her face, she lifted her arm to reveal the small rectangular object. "I cant believe we actually got it" Layla remarked. 

"7 years and you still doubt my expertise?"

"never"

Callie smirked in approval, "Now the real fun begins" Callie glanced at the DVD case, "Once Jaylen realizes we have the tape, he'll do whatever our wee heart's desire" she snickered as she shoved the case into her rucksack. "we make a great team" Layla said searching to find that glimmer of evil again. "We do" Callie replied with nothing but desire in her eyes. She wrapped her arms softly around Layla's waist and pulled her close. Callie gently pressed her lips against Layla's and could feel the corners of her mouth raise. "See you tomorrow" Callie said as she pressed a final kiss upon Layla's head. "see you" Layla turned away and walked towards her front door, they had kissed a thousand times but Layla still could not wipe the smile from her face.

                                                                                   *     *     *

Layla was leaned against the foot of her bed, smearing her nails with stoked of blood red polish. Layla always thought red had more depth than any other color. It could transform from romance to violence as quick as an earthquake destroys a town. Layla's thoughts were interrupted by the sharp buzz of her phone atop the oak vanity-it was Callie. "Hey, what's up"

"This tape is gold come check it out"

"Callie, its one in the morning"

"When has that ever stopped you"

"Okay, Okay I'm on my way now" Layla tapped on the desk so Callie could hear "hear that, that's the sound of my footsteps on the way to your place"

"Ugh you're so full of it, just get here as fast as you can, love you"

"Love you too" and with that Layla hung shoved her phone in her back pocket and began the decent down the pipe just left of the 2nd window on the north side of the house. Layla had snuck out too many times to keep track and shimmying down the slippery pipe became a second nature.

After 10 minutes of walking down the dim streets Layla found herself underneath a small balcony. This wasn't the first time she had to climb up the trellis to get to the window. She climbed her way onto the balcony and lifted open the right window that never locked. She jumped into the room trying to land as lightly as possible, it was pitch black. "Callie" she whispered. "Calllieeee". No reply. Layla thought Callie might have just been in the bathroom so she made her way towards where she knew the bed would be. "Boo" Callie yelled as she jumped on to Layla, sending them both tumbling onto the bed. "I swear to god Callie im going to kill you"

"Shhhh, you're gonna wake up my parents" Callie whispered

"I'm not the one who yelled" Layla said annoyed. Callie pressed her lips against Layla, stifling her laughter. Layla couldn't stay mad at Callie for long, especially not like this.

They broke apart as Callie reached under her bed for her laptop. In the dim illumination from the screen, Layla could see Callie put a disk into the side of her laptop.