Chapter 12: Wait, What?!

The guys seem a little shocked by my achievement, but I don't see why. Is it really so unusual to be able to hit a target? I mean, it's not like I learned how to throw the knife for sport...

"Where'd you learn to throw like that?" Gladiolus asks, walking over with my knife in hand, a perplexed look on his face.

"Self-taught." I think I know where this is going...

"What would require you to learn such a skill?" Ignis' turn to ask questions, it seems.

"It was an idea I had after an event." Wait for it...

"What event?" Prompto asks, his eyes wide with curiosity.

"..." I stay quiet this time. I don't like talking about what happened. It was... bad. I remember it was about four or five years ago, maybe while I was twelve or thirteen, but don't quote me on that. I was sneaking around an alley, hiding in the shadows along the wall to keep from being seen - people are cruel to anyone steals, regardless of the reasoning. Well, someone had found my hiding spot, and unfortunately, the face wasn't someone looking for a thief. It's an experience that made me realize that people cheat, and playing fair isn't an option when there are cheaters. I rarely go out unarmed now because I'm scared I'll be in another situation where my fists won't help me. Go figure that I'd get caught on one of the days when I happened to be unarmed. Then again, things might've been worse if I had pulled a knife out on the prince - so, a blessing in disguise, I guess?

"Everything's a secret with you, isn't it?" the grumpy voice draws me out of my memory, and back into the present.

"And I suppose you're an open book?" I challenge Noctis, crossing my arms and raising an eyebrow.

"Everyone has things they don't wish to discuss," Ignis jumps in, cutting off whatever retort the prince had been planning. He then turns to me with kind and soft eyes. "If it's too difficult to recount, then we won't force you to."

I hesitate as this statement. I've been told a few times that someone will or won't do something - I can't how often they followed through on one hand, and none of them were with good intentions. However, his expression seems genuine, with no noticeable signs of false or empty words. Finally, I relax and nod, signaling my gratitude - well, I hope he understands it's gratitude...

I try not to jump at the sound of a high-pitched beeping, and turn to Prompto. The blonde quickly pulled his phone out of his pocket, his bright blue eyes staring for a moment, before grinning.

"Are we still going to the arcade?" he asked the brunette, hope in his eyes.

"I don't know if that's a good idea..." Ignis spoke slowly, considering the odd question. "After last night, any excessive amount of movement could cause problems."

The pieces put themselves together so clearly in my mind, I wonder for moment if the guys heard the click. I saw a poster in a window last week announcing that a new game had been installed in the local arcade. By the sounds of it, the party had already made plans to go and check it out today. But, because of my little scene last night when my leg gave out, they were worried about going anywhere with me, as though an "excessive amount of movement" could trigger that again.

"She's fine, her and Prompto were painting when we got here," Noctis points out.

"She also seemed fine last night while carrying a few bags." Gladiolus crosses his arms, frowning in thought.

"Maybe someone can stay here with Lulu...?" Prompto suggests slowly.

The prince glares at me and shakes his head. "Then someone would have to miss out."

I can't help frowning at this. Maybe I'm just suspicious, but I feel like he's trying to accuse me of ruining their plans...

However, the largest of the group shrugs casually. "I've got no problem with staying."

Wait, what?

"Are you sure, Gladio?" Prompto frowns. "You were looking forward to this too..."

However, the tattooed man laughs easily. "That game isn't going anywhere. I'll try it out some other time."

Please don't do this to me again...

"Well, if you're really alright with it..." Ignis continues, still speaking slowly.

"We'll see you later than." Prompto grins, the only one who seems to have gotten over the separation of their little band.

"Later," Noctis' farewell is short, his voice sounding tight and restricted. I can practically feel his rage towards me.

Well, excuse me, but I didn't get an opinion on the matter. Not technically my fault, Prince Speak-As-If-I'm-Not-There ((A/N: I'm sorry)).

I watch with crossed arms as the other three walk out, leaving me with Gladiolus. When the door finally closes, he turns to me, a large grin on his.

"So, how did you learn to fight?" he asks, then adds, "and what else can you do?"

I let out a sigh. This is going to be the longest few hours of my life...

________________________________________________________

Oh look, an update - finally. To think, I've been living on a sugar rush for days, and I still didn't finish this chapter until now. I'm sorry it always takes me so long! T~T I need to break that habit and actually write...

But yeah, did everyone have a good Halloween? (Sis: You're a week late, Rosie!) I know I did! So much chocolate...! <3 (Sis: Chocoholic... Me: Shut up. -_-)

Anyway, I hope you all enjoyed this little chapter! Until next time, enjoy however-many-weeks-it-takes-me-to-write!

To those who know the anime the picture is from: I'm sorry.