Meeting

It is one hot summer afternoon. 

No wind. 

It felt as if the world was not regulating any air at all. 

I walked my way to the school, with my thick brown hair tied up a messy ponytail. The towel draped at my back, inside my white sleeveless shirt, felt moist with sweat as I contained to flap my vest, hoping to generate some cool wind towards myself.

Of all the days, it had to be today. I don't have to worry about the heat this early, had I just taken the initiative of waking up early and taking the ride with Mom. If only I was contented with watching 3 youtube videos last night, I wouldn't have to overslept. 

Sigh. Think positive, Emily. It's still just the first day of school. And you are just steps away from the university. 

I look straight ahead. And there it is, Golden Gates University. Not exactly my first choice, originally. Long story short, because of its convenient distance and because it was one of the most prominent schools in the country, home of some of the famous singers and celebrities while still maintaining its place in the Top 10 schools for Science and Technology, I was told to take the entrance test here and well I passed. 

It was shocking really. I heard the tests here were hard. But speaking from experience, it really isn't. I am no honor student in grade school. I am relatively average. I wonder those were just rumors made to scare people or to help build up the name of the university. But then again, experience can be highly subjective, maybe I was simply fortunate in a sense. 

As I entered the student gate, specifically the one of the right, farthest from the car gate, I presented my ID to the guard and I readjust the sling of my backpack. The female guard.."...Cooper", from what I could read anyway from her name stash, took a quick look over my body and face and returned the ID back to me and allowed my passage into the university. 

No smile? Or greeting, perhaps? Certainly not friendly. Strict which may be understandable. Or maybe her attitude has been contributed by the blazing heat as well. The heat could really get into our heads. I know it could get into my head. 

I surveyed my surroundings and though I know this is like my third time already entering the university, no matter how I look at it, the university looked a lot more of a palace than it is a university. Whoever was in charge of designing this school, is either too inspired or plain mad. It simply is not efficient or ergonomic.

I strolled through the carefully stoned carved path towards the main building and stepped on three circular steps before the sensors sensed an incoming guests and consequently, the heavily laced curtains splits apart and a wave of cool air flew past me. 

I take a deep breath.

It may be extravagant. But schooling in an fully airconditioned institution is a bliss in this weather.

In the middle of the room, hang a large chandelier covered in the silver and shaped like a beehive. Directly infront of the entrance which I had just entered is a wall, bordered in achievements on the top, a few sealed in small transparent glass, and just in the center of the border is the names of the board of directors and other important personnel.

I wonder if one day, I will be able to do something that will be engraved in those list of achievements.

There were two staircase, on each side of the aforementioned wall, leading to the second floor, in the middle of the two staircases were three offices, the center being the president's office. Seeing as I have 15 minutes left until the start of my first class, I headed to the president's office, knocked and entered the room. 

I was greeted with the warm scent of vanilla and by two men, at their thirties, formally dressed, the other being at the back of the mahogany desk and the other on wooden chair, at the left side of the desk. Nothing less than extravagant right? 

"Good morning. You must be Ms. Emily Harriot. I'm Frederick Haddle, school president of Golden Gates University. It is a pleasure to meet you."

The man at the back of the mahogany desk, stood up as he spoke, smiled and extended a hand. 

I took his hand and shook it as I returned the smile and spoke, "It is a pleasure to meet you as well, Sir Frederick Haddle."

"Please sit." He waved his hand to the vacant seat at across the other man. I took a seat. "It is not so often that we receive online applications and have successful applicants like you. I would like to meet, Sir Caesar Pimenova. He will be your advisory teacher. He will help you catch up on all the lessons last month."

I bowed my head towards Sir Caesar's direction. "I will be at your care" 

Sir Caesar simply smiled. "Feel free to ask me any question"

I returned the smile.

"Would you mind waiting for a few more minutes? We are waiting for another student such as yourself, to come as well. I believe it would save Mr. Caesar time and effort of reintroducing the two of you to the class."

"Oh. I don't mind."

Just another knock was heard by the door and another figure came into room. I took a glance at my digital watch, 7 minutes left. 

"Oh, we were just talking about you. I presume you are Reynold Peterson. I am Frederick Haddle, the school president of Golden Gates University." Sir Frederick again extended a hand to "Reynold" with which Reynold took and shoke.  

"This is Sir Caesar Pimenova, your advisory teacher. He will also help you catch up on all the lessons last month." The school president waves his hand to Caesar and Reynold bows to him.

"And this is Miss Emily Hariott, your classmate." The school president waves his hand to me and Reynold smiles at me, with which I returned by smiling back.

The school president claps his hand together. "Well, I must not delay you any longer. It was a pleasure to meet you both. Your first class is about to start in a few minutes. If you would Sir Caesar, escort these two to their class." 

"Of course." Sir Caesar bowed. "Please excuse us." Sir Caesar turned his back on the school president and opened the door, escorting us out of the room. Reynold came out first, and then, I. And we both waited for Sir Caesar to go out and lead the way.

I wonder what this school year would bring. Would I make new friends? I surely will still do fine in my studies. But what club will I join in? 

I allowed myself to be submerged in my inquisitions while following Sir Caesar's direction, not minding the little instructions and warnings he told us along the way. 

I won't come out in a test anyway. And besides, I am pretty sure he is simply reiterating what was stated in the student's handbook, which I can read anytime.

New school. New life. New friends.

Will this year turn out fine?