The Unsettlement of Arguments

The grass smelt gorgeous. It smelt like summer, it smelt like home. And here, lying in the sun, I finally felt as if I belonged. When I was this relaxed, all my worries stored safely away where they couldn't get at me, I felt as though I could truly forget the horrors I had already come across in this dark and dismal place. Here, I could pretend none of it had ever happened. Sherlock had merely never been born, the bald man was a nightmare I had once dreamt up after a stressful day, and the cold eerie feel of this place was just a figment of my imagination. If only.

Jonathan glared at me. I had just completely disagreed with his absurd theory that this was in fact, all just in my mind.
"And you can seriously convince yourself that your own cat wasn't even murdered? You can tell yourself that?" I cried.
He shook his head, tension building up in his nerves. I could see all his muscles beginning to tense and shake from the pressure.
"Thin ice."
"I just can't understand how you can ju...."
"Thin ice, Gerda." He interrupted. There was pure frustration on his face, with glimmers of real anger showing through. That psychopathic look was there, I swear if he had a knife right now, he wouldn't hesitate to threaten me with it. But I wasn't ready to back off.
"So what, you think Tyler was making it up too? Little twelve year old Tyler, you think he would pull something like this?"
"Well, maybe I don't know! I don't even know your family! You just came here and dumped all your stuff in my favourite place in the world, what makes you think you're welcome..." He trailed off. There was a line, and he had crossed it. I could tell by that guilty look in his eyes. They were filled with tears, tears that hadn't quite reached the point where they would spill over. I felt no sympathy for him.
"Oh I don't know Jonathan. Maybe the fact that we bought the place. If anything you're the ones trespassing here! And while we're on the topic, here you are throwing accusations at my 12 year old brother, but really..." I leaned in closer, hoping he could feel my threatening harsh breaths on his face as I spoke, "I think you're the real psychopath here." My voice had quietened to a whisper but that made it have an even worse affect on him. The nervous tears finally spilled over, and Jonathan turned and ran straight from the room. Harissa took one shocked and angry look at me, and followed him.

I pulled my knees up to my chest, and told myself to forget it all. They weren't worth it. Stupid Jonathan and his stupid sister weren't worth it. Maybe if I told myself that enough, I truly would stop caring about them, my childish crush on Harissa would simply disintegrate, and my need for Jonathan's friendship would become forgotten.

My research was still everywhere on the library desk. Books and papers were scattered everywhere from when I had been reading up on strange read eyed creatures. I picked one up, glancing over the ink illustrations of monsters, and such beings. None of them seemed to fit exactly what I had seen, but even so I read on.

These beautiful and dangerous creatures can create universes in places where there should never be one. Parallel spaces full of your worst fears, in order to weaken their targets, and confuse and befuddle them. The important thing to understand, is that these horrific beasts can simply choose a target, and will then do whatever is needed to lure them into the place where the ultimate sacrifice will be made.

I shook my head in confusion. Ultimate sacrifice? Was that murder? Death? I read on.

The persons ordinary universe will begin to be turned on its head, and then they will begin to sleep between realities. Right up until their soul is forever trapped in the nightmarish space our enemy has created for them.

It was then that I saw something out of the corner of my eye. It looked like a spec of dust, or perhaps a dandelion seed. But when I tried to follow it with my eyes, it moved further and further away, never leaving the edge of my line of sight. Frustrated I span my head around until I could go no further, and tried to focus on the spec. Dizzy from turning, I began to feel light headed. I had a sudden sensation of complete and utter worry. I knew something terrible was going to happen, I had never been this sure of something in my entire life. Swallowing, I tried to stay in consciousness, but the giddiness began to accumulate my every thought, and before long, the ground seemed to get suddenly closer, and I felt the rush of blood to my upper body as my head hit the floor.