The Taunting of the Obvious

If the house hadn't been panicky before, then it certainly was now. 

As soon as Jonathon ran into the room, arms flailing and tears in his eyes, searching for anything that would give pointers to where the secret lair was, everyone seemed to be upturned along with all the furniture. 

"It's in here." he muttered frantically. "Right under our noses." then he raised his voice to a commanding tone: "Everyone look for it, we're getting close now!"
And to my surprise, everyone responded. I suppose it hit them hard too - the idea that Tyler was this close to the library this whole time. There was panic rising up in my throat. We were so close, yet it felt like we were further away than ever. My mother had her hands clasped over her mouth.

Frantically, I began to pull cushions off the sofa, grabbed books at random from the shelves - maybe there was a secret door mechanism? I made eye contact with the officer from earlier. He looked apologetic. I didn't feel like forgiving him. Told you so. I thought in my head, and then I turned away and continued my illogical search.

My phone beeped it's usual trilling ringtone, the signal that a text message had come through.
"Not now..." I muttered under my breath, and pushed the silence button with one finger through the material of my jeans. Looking back now, I realise that maybe if I had looked at that text, we could have found Tyler quicker.

Though looking back now, there's many things I would have done differently in those 3 months at the house. It's impossible to change the past, but that doesn't stop guilt from filling my mind everyday. In the morning when I wake, the first thing I think of is that one choice I made, that one decision that caused the pain and hardship of another; I don't like to dwell on it, but of course, that doesn't stop me.

I had almost finished pulling off the books from the last shelf when Harissa unexpectedly caught my arm.
"Gerda, I hate to say it, but I don't think it's a book pulley secret door. That would be too obvious."
"You're assuming this... monster doesn't play by the stereotypes? We don't know anything about him, it could love being the generic supernatural villain." I was joking, but there were tears in my eyes, as I sat down, and continued to sob.
"Him?" Harissa said, shaking her head in confusion. "What makes you think it's definitely a male?"
"Slip of the tongue." I said. "Of course, we have no idea what this thing is."
In my mind, I had answered with something more along the lines of Is this really a good time for feminism? But I knew for a fact that is wasn't a good time for arguing among allies, so I kept that comment to myself.

Right on queue, my phone bleeped again, somehow it seemed louder this time. Frustrated, I went to check the silence button was definitely enabled, but stopped when I caught my mum looking at me.
"It's okay sweetie, you can check what it is if you want. We haven't found it yet. Go ahead."
I kept my eye contact with her, sussing out whether she was testing me for teenage habits or not, but her weak smile seemed genuine. I began pulling my mobile from my pocket, but halted, and frowned right into her large blue eyes.
"Tyler's still missing." I said, with an firm voice I didn't know I had in me, and turned my mobile completely off, without checking what the notifications had been.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The search must have continued for a good hour. This time though, there was much more haste, everyone did everything with a spring in their step - we all knew we were just that tiny bit closer to tracking down the monster that had taken my little brother. Even my mother, who seemed to be a tea making factory was spitting out cups of English Breakfast for England it seemed. I hadn't drank any of the mugs she had made me - tea had started making me unhappy recently, because every time something bad happened, people's best way of dealing with it was to shove a hot steaming cup into my hand.

Jonathon had no trouble with it whatsoever though. He was drinking a cup now, as he knelt on his knees, seemingly checking the base of a bookshelf for hidden buttons or clues. He set it down beside him when I plonked myself next to him.
"Anything useful?" I asked, and bent further down to get a glimpse of his facial expression. Maybe I shouldn't have bothered, he looked dumbfounded and confused too.
"I don't understand Gerda, we were so close. I really thought we had it."
"Me too." I whispered, and put a comforting arm around his shoulder, as quiet tears made paths down his cheeks.
"I'm really sorry, for everything. I... I really am. I hope we find Tyler."
I just nodded this time. We sat there for a couple of minutes. Jonathon took the last gulp of his tea, and I jumped up swiftly, offering him a refill.
"Yeah. Thanks."
I swept up his mug, and took it kettle, but didn't bother making any more tea for Jonathon. I was too distracted, and chances are I would burn myself considering how much my hands were still shaking.

Instead, I headed over to the window seat, pushing my way through all the officers. I sat, and pulled my legs close to my chest. At least here I had a good overview of the library. I fiddled with the fabric on the built in cushion, absent-mindedly. Most of the officers just left me alone - my eyes were glazed over, and I wasn't really in the right frame of mind to answer anymore questions.

As I pulled at the tightly woven threads, I noticed that the fabric was slightly loose. This place really was old. Normally I would hate to bring about the destruction of a piece of furniture this beautiful before, but today I found it good stress relief to continue to pick away at the seat. To my surprise, the fabric continued to come free without putting up much of a fight. I carried on pulling, and then I felt a rush of cold come over me. This was it, wasn't it? I slid a hand under the fabric, and felt the smooth wood, and as I explored further, metal - a hinge.
I swore under my breath. It was right here this whole time.
I closed my eyes, and swallowed a scream.
"Wait." I said, but no one heard me over the chatter and search for the passage.
"Wait" I said again, but this time louder, close to a shout. They all stopped what they were doing and looked at me.

Then I stood, having got their attention. With one quick swoop, I yanked the damaged cushion fabric off the seat, to reveal a trap door.

And at that moment, I swear you could hear a pin drop.