Chapter 3, new home

When Lilac woke up she discovered a note on her boots, it was from Keelyn.

    Dear Lilac, you were asleep and I didn’t want to wake you but in this town we all work, so meet me down by the old funeral home, if you want to stay here you have to prove that you can work

                    Love K.A.K

Lilac threw on an old cardigan and a pair of ripped jean, she popped a piece of gum into her mouth and made her way to the funeral home. When she got to the funeral home Keelyn was waiting outside holding a shovel. “Let’s go bury some bodies!” Keelyn said.

    “What?” she said

    “We have to bury bodies.” Keelyn said

    “I’m not doing that.”

    “Yes you are, or you leave.” after she said that Lilac yanked the shovel out of keelyn’s

hand and began to dig. As Lilac dug her hands began to ache, and she could feel shovel slipping from her hand as the blood hits the grass.

    “Keelyn, I can’t do this anymore, I need a new job” she said

    “Why, oh wait you’re bleeding, oh no we need the medic, someone help!” Keelyn began to frantically run around with her arms flailing in the air, and screaming.

    “No Keelyn, stop, I just need to get my stitches redone, that’s it.” she said while holding Keelyn’s shoulder. Keelyn looked confused and then realized that the hand that was on her shoulder was the bleeding one.

    “Don’t touch me with your gross bloody hand, you swine!” she smacked Lilacs hand off her shoulder and walked off with her nose in the air. Lilac dropped her shovel and began to walk around town looking for the medic. She was dizzy and she began to bump into people the were walking along side her, everything was spinning and she could barely keep her balance, then everything went black, and Lilac was now laying on the ground, unresponsive.

Lily and Kenzie were back at the house, doing the chores. Patrick and Keelyn were fixing lunch.“Where is Lilac?” Kenzie asked.

“I don’t know” Keelyn said.  

“But you were with her, digging the graves.”

“Yeah well I don’t know okay, just leave me alone!” and with that Keelyn stomped off to the bedrooms. Kenzie looked at Lily, Lily just shrugged and looked back at her dishes. Lilac woke up in hospital bed, surrounded by four white walls and a window in the right one, her vision was hazy, but her eyes were fixated on the figure at the foot of the bed. Then it spoke.

“Oh good, you’re up.” the voice sounded very familiar, then it started to walk closer, her eyesight finally came back, just as the figure came face to face with her, their eyes meeting, they were both full of tears. It was Jon. He stood there looking down at her, reaching for her hand.

“I thought you died.” she said

“So did Jane, but look at me now.” he started dancing around the room trying to make her laugh, it worked.

“How did you get here?”

“I walked silly.”

“Jon.”

“Okay, so after Jane tried to kill me, I just began to walk and that led to me finding this place, and when Keelyn told me that there was a new person named Lilac I just knew I had to find you, and I just so happened to work in the med center.”

“But how were not eaten alive by the creators?”

“Well, when I landed on them a lot of them were crushed and when I began to crawl out I got some of the remains on me, and then the biters just left me alone.”

“Biters?”

“Yeah, that’s what they call them here.” Jon stood in front of Lilac and held his out, she brought her hand to his and he helped her stand up. They walked out of the med center and walked around outside. Then they ran into Keelyn.

“Oh, you’re up?” she said

“Yep, I’m doing just fine.”

“Well that’s good, will you be joining us for dinner then?”

“Yeah.”

“Then let’s go.” they all walked to the house and Lilac took a seat next to Lily and patted the seat on the other side of her for Jon. Keelyn was in the kitchen with Kenzie.

“I will get Lilacs plate, you get everyone else.”

“Why do you just want Lilacs plate?”

“Because she likes me more than you.” Keelyn snatched the plate from Kenzie’s hand and turned her back to her, she opened the cabinet above her head and reached for a vial with green leafy flakes and sprinkled it all over Lilacs food. Keelyn was trying to kill Lilac. Everyone was waiting for Keelyn to come out of the kitchen so they could all eat. Keelyn put the flakes back in the cabinet and walked to the table, but even though Keelyn thought she was being sneaky, someone saw everything. Kenzie saw everything.