Chapter Two: The Truth Hurts

Kailey knew that even before she accepted the job to be a paramedic it wasn’t going to be easy. There were times she was gonna freak out, like today for instance. It was a cold Tuesday and a drive by shooting had occurred. The guy was bleeding badly and was on the verge of dying. Kailey was on the verge of passing out but she was going to be okay. They bandached him up and put him in the back of the ambulance. “Are you alright? You look as pale as a ghost.” Dawson commented as they were on the way to the hospital. “I’ll be fine. I probably should’ve figured this is what comes with being a paramedic.” Kailey said looking out the window. They were driving fast. The buildings continued to pass in a blur. “Believe me, you’ll get used to it.” Dawson said. Kailey shrugged and didn’t bother to say anything back.

                When they returned to the firehouse, Casey was nowhere to be found. Kailey just sat on the couch beside the dog they had and watched TV. “Kailey, Are you alright?” She heard a voice ask. She turned and saw it was Severide. “Yeah, I’m okay.”She responded. “Are you sure? You don’t look so well.” He responded. “Yeah, maybe I’ll go take a nap.” Kailey said and got up. She went into her room and closed the door. She took out her phone before getting into bed. The last text message she received before going to bed had the words “I’m breaking up with you…” on her screen.

                She woke up a few hours later, numb from crying herself to sleep. She fixed her hair and walked out into the bathroom where she ran into Dawson.  “Hey, are you alright?” Dawson asked noticing Kailey. “Not really and I don’t want to talk about it.” She said before closing herself into the shower and turning on the hot water.  Kailey wasn’t really the one to cry. She was always the strong one. She depended on herself because she couldn’t trust anyone. Ever since she met Casey, everything changed.  Losing him killed her. He didn’t even give her a reason. He just said those 5 words. Maybe he cheated on her…

                Kailey got out of the shower and put on jeans and a hoodie. She grabbed her phone and her car keys before walking out ignoring the stares everyone gave her.  “She and Casey broke up, so it’s probably gonna take her time.” Dawson explained as Kailey sped off. Kailey had no clue where she was going, she just didn’t want to be there anymore. She figured it was a terrible idea to accept that job.

“Is there a reason you broke up with her?” Severide asked Casey. “No. I was drunk.” Casey responded. “Drunk isn’t an excuse to break up with her. I don’t think you realize how upset she is right now.” Severide said.  “Well I can’t do anything about it…” Casey said. Severide looked at him as if he was stupid. “Go chase her down you idiot.” Severide said before leaving the room.

                Kailey was sitting at her apartment watching chick flicks. She honestly didn’t know what to do with her life anymore. She figured that she and Casey would never fall apart. She wanted to stay with him but apparently he didn’t feel the same way. It felt like a slap in the fucking face. She was beginning to wonder if it was because of another girl. So many different things were coming to mind and she didn’t know what to go with. She grabbed her laptop and turned it on. She wasn’t going to sit here and pout. She was gonna find another job.

                Casey finally got to her apartment a little while later. He was hoping she didn’t think it was an excuse. He rung her doorbell and waited for her to answer. She came to the door and opened it. She didn’t look good at all. Dried makeup was all over her face, her hair was a mess and she was only wearing a t-shirt and shorts. “Do you need something?” Kailey asked clearly pissed off. “I just want to talk.” Casey said entering her apartment. “Talk about what? There’s really nothing left to talk about.” Kailey said following him in and sitting down on the couch. “Well, I didn’t want to break up with you.” He started. “Then why did you?” Kailey asked. “I was completely wasted and wasn’t thinking.” Casey said. If only she knew the truth…. “Drunk? That’s not an excuse. Do you really think I’ll believe that?” Kailey asked. “Well I honestly don’t know what else to tell you. That’s really all there is to say.” Casey said. “I’ll obviously go back to work but I want nothing to do with you anymore.” Kailey said glaring at him. “Fine.” Casey said getting up and walking out of the apartment, slamming the door behind him.

                Kailey decided to stick working as a paramedic. Casey got her the job. The least she could do was suck it up and just ignore him. Kailey went to work that day and put her stuff into her locker. She ended up running into Severide. “Are you doing alright?” He asked her.  “Kind of sort of, not.” She responded. “What happened?” He asked. “Casey came over to try to make up with me and get back with me. But I didn’t believe him. Even if he was drunk, there’s another part to the story he’s leaving out. I just don’t know what.” Kailey said. “Did you ask him if he did anything else while wasted?” Severide asked. “He refused to tell me.” Kailey said closing her locker door shut.  “Well, I’ll help you get to the bottom of it.” He said before leaving her alone. Kailey sighed and walked out to join everyone. They were having some sort of meeting.

A couple hours later and the meeting was over with. Now the alarm was going off. Kailey quickly hopped into the ambulance with Dawson by her side. “How’d everything go with Casey?” Dawson asked before speeding off. “Not well at all. We’re just going to stay broken up. It seems to be better that way.” Kailey said. “Well, follow your heart.” Dawson said before pulling up to a diner that was already in flames. “Is there anyone in there?” Kailey asked. “I don’t think so but a few of the men are checking anyways.” Chief responded. “All clear.” Kailey heard on the radio. Kailey began to keep herself busy while trying to keep her mind off Casey. The fire was eventually out and they were able to go back to the firehouse. “Are you sure you’re alright? It doesn’t look like your holding up well.” Dawson commented. “I’ll get over it.” Kailey replied before walking off to get something to eat.

                “She’s not holding up at all Casey. I don’t know how to help her.” Dawson said. “I doubt you can. She doesn’t talk to anyone when she’s upset.” Casey responded. To be honest, he wasn’t doing well either. He couldn’t get her off his mind no matter how hard he tried. “You both just need to get together and talk. It’s clearly bothering you both.” Dawson said. “But how? She refuses to talk to me.” Casey responded. “I will take care of it.” Dawson replied before walking out.

                “Look, you and he need to sit down and talk to each other. I know you want him back. It’s obvious in your face. Trying to ignore him is just going to make things worse.” Dawson said. “Well I want him to tell me the truth. There was obviously a reason he dumped me.” Kailey responded.  “Well, move on from that. I have set you two up on a date. You two need to move on from this.” Dawson responded before walking out of the room.

                Kailey didn’t want to go on this date. She didn’t feel like sitting through dinner being awkward with her ex. It already sucked working with him and now she had to eat dinner with him. Dawson had told her to dress casual so she decided on skinny jeans with a cute shirt.

http://www.polyvore.com/cgi/set?id=108026369

She was ready to go a few minutes later and met Dawson outside. She was standing with Casey. He looked so handsome. She tried not to stare. “Good, you both are here. Go on to that place I told you about.” Dawson said pushing me along with Casey.

They ended up at a diner that was on the other side of town. “Well, you look good Kailey.” Casey commented as they found a table and sat down. “Thanks, you as well.” Kailey said. Kailey decided to start with a coke and Casey with a milkshake. As they were waiting to order dinner, they started talking about everything.  The waitress came back and both of them ordered their meals. Then they continued to talk. Kailey realized she really missed being with him. When both of them were together, they never talked like this. They never really got to know each other well which could’ve been another reason for their breakup. By the time they were done with dinner they were really happy together. They went back to the firehouse all cuddled up together. Dawson smirked at them. She had a feeling things would end up working out. Those two couldn’t live without each other and it was quite obvious.