Chapter 3 - Our Last

The next day came and I was far too excited to see her already. Earlier than the plan, I showed up in our meeting place. I felt really fresh and energized, knowing I could be with the love of my life this very day. It took me around an hour waiting at our usual table, before she finally arrives.

“Hello there. Sorry to keep you waiting.” She said, as she sat down in front of me. She was trying to catch her breath when I thought that maybe she was hastening towards this place. But, why? Was she just as excited as I yet was late? I couldn’t assume. No, I couldn’t.

 I smiled, as long as she’s here now. It’s actually all right. “It’s fine. I haven’t waited for too long.” I told her, wanting her to know that I am more than willing to wait for her. Just like people say, ‘better late than never’, right?

We spent our afternoon trying to reminisce on our days before, once again - from strolling the park to sharing ice cream cones. Every once in a while, my arm would ache for it to wrap around her waist or rest on her shoulders. Oh how I would love to do that.

But I know I can’t. I have already been doing bad, taking her for myself when her boyfriend’s away. I can’t make anything worse. I wouldn’t be able to handle more of my conscience by then. I miss how we used to… If only we could turn back time.

At one point in the afternoon, Leila went to the restroom and it was the time I could slid something to her bag – the letter I’ve written for her the night before. I wanted her to know what I truly feel about her, even after the time has flown by.

In a few moments, she returned rather quickly, just like when she arrived. “Charles, I’m really really sorry, but I didn’t notice the time! I have to go.”

“This early?” I voiced out my thoughts. “Well, all right. Where do you live now? Let me walk you home.” I told her.

“It’s just a short walk from here.” She answered, preparing herself, retouching her light make-up and what not. You look better without it, babe. I remembered telling her that before, when we were still together and she wanted to look good in the eyes of others. But she is already perfect, can’t she see that? “I’ll be fine. You don’t have to!” She rejected.

“Leila, I insist.” I tell her, and she couldn’t say anything else.

Next thing we know, we were walking the streets side-by-side. My eyes got a bit teary again, as I recalled how we ended up. I chuckled.

“Do you still remember how we broke up?” I faked a smile and hid the tears. “It’s crazy to find this day way too similar.”

Leila, beside me, sighed. “Yeah, I guess. But we can always change how we ended, can’t we?” She reasoned out. “We could always rewind the past.”

“And we just did rewind the past, Leila.” I pointed it out, shaking my head afterwards. “But changing how it ends? Could that still happen? As much as I want to, we can’t.”

“Why can’t we, Charles?”

“Because you have someone else!” I exclaimed, infuriated by the fact that I couldn’t do anything about it. I don’t have the right to be jealous, or at least not anymore and that’s what hurts the most. “I don’t want to be some fling of yours anymore.”

The petite lady wasn’t able to speak and simply cleared her throat. “Of course… I’m sorry. I live here; would you want to come in?” She suggested.

I shook my head. “No thanks. I don’t want to cause any more trouble. I apologize, Leila.”

“You’re not causing me trouble, Charles.” She said, resting her hand on my shoulder which I immediately removed. “Some other time, perhaps?”

“I guess so…” I said.