Prolouge

Chase has been labeled the trouble child, and not even by himself.
But by his mother, who can't help but compare him to his brothers, Alec, Justin, and Jack. Two of whom are smarter than Chase could hope to be, the other so small and pure.
It makes Chase feel like a heathen standing among them.
He loves them of course, but he can't help being jealous. Why doesn't he have all this talent and intelligence? Doesn't he have any of his own?
What is he lacking?
That thought runs through his head as he walks up the steps leading to his school.
He mumbles under his breath, maneuvering through the crowds of shifting bodies like a snake.
"I could be friendly... if I wanted to," he rationalizes. "I'm smart, and I'm athletic. I just don't like the whole team aspect."
As Chase spins the combo on his locker, a lithe girl who smiles at him.
Chase frowns, annoyed almost immediately. Why is she looking at him like that? Doesn't she have a freaking class to get to?
Honestly, this type of shit is not ok. Especially this early in the morning.
Which is why, as soon as the though occurs to him, Chase "accidentally" splashes the girl full in the face with a bottle of cold water.
"Whoops," he says, walking by with his binder and notebook tucked under his arm.
Maybe he can see why he isn't good enough.
That's a lie.
He can see exactly why he isn't a good person; he's hyper-aware of it.
He has the aura of someone who is lost, and terrified, but he does such a good job of hiding it, no one notices it.
Not even his parents.
And for now, that's what Chase wants.