3::Smolder

The person I got along the best with besides Polly was a woman named Lilia Matthews, fresh out of college, and the guidance counselor for Heart High School. She was quirky and odd and had an unconventional way of doing things, but that was what I liked best about her. Along with her confidentiality policy. I could go to her about things I didn't have to worry about circulating through the rest of the school.

The only con?

Nine times out of ten her boyfriend was with her, and ten times out of ten I walked in on them together.

And that was what was happening when I opened her door, finding her seated on her desk in a massive make-out session with her boyfriend. I admired how much they cared for one another. I mean, she'd told me before how he had Borderline Personality Disorder, and had reminisced stories about when they first met and how horrible they were toward each other. I thought it all rather amusing, if not romantic and sweet. I was glad they loved each other so much. I just didn't want to see the physical proof.

I cleared my throat, shutting the door behind me. When they made no move to surface for air, I thought about just walking out. Seriously, who wanted to see that? "Excuse me," I said, thankful she heard me and pulled back.

"Oh, my," she giggled. "Caught again, aren't we, Alec?"

Alec, the tall man who I'd noticed didn't have much to say if you weren't Lilia, rolled his eyes and stepped to the side. I laughed awkwardly.

Lilia spun around her desk and dropped in her chair, clasping her hands on the desk. Weirdest guidance counselor ever. "What can I do for you, Annie?"

I sat down in the chair, casting a cursory look toward Alec. Lilia noticed and dismissed him with a flap of her wrist.

"Don't worry about him," she said. "He's bound to the confidentiality agreement, too."

Hm. "I just had a question."

"What about?"

Lilia knew mostly about my situation at home, and supported me one hundred percent. Well, she knew the basics, at least. Not about my racy job or anything like that. She was the one that helped me figure a lot of stuff out when I realized my mother wasn't going to take on adult responsibilities anymore. "My house."

"What about your house?"

"If I was to, say, receive an eviction notice, is that surefire losing the house, or is that something better negotiated with the landlord?"

Her eyes narrowed. "Annie, what's wrong?"

I shrugged. "The rent is late."

She crooked an eyebrow.

"That's all," I assured her, holding my hands up. "I swear. I just want to know my options."

Lilia thought for a moment and then nodded. "Why don't you stop by my apartment later after school? We can talk then. I think it's too much to discuss within the confines of school."

That was fair. "Thanks, Lily."

"Hey, my pleasure. I love being a productive guidance counselor."

I rolled my eyes as I stood. "See you later. Bye, Alec."

Alec just nodded as I left. I took a deep breath, leaning against the wall to collect my thoughts. The rent really was a significant worry, as I couldn't recall the last time I'd sent in money. The last thing I needed was to have to go to court or something, and risk roaming the streets of Heart with my mother. She'd probably end up killing herself and I'd be all alone. Not that loneliness would be a huge problem.