15::Erupt

“Is everything okay?”

I was seated behind the bar at Hoover’s, lapping lazily at a glass of lemonade. It was a particularly slow day, and hardly anybody was making an appearance. “Yeah,” I muttered in response to Polly’s question. “I’m fine.”

She didn’t seem so sure, though. Why couldn’t anybody ever just believe me when I told them I was alright?

Even if I was a bit distracted. Ezra had been avoiding me since our argument in his apartment. I tried to talk to him this final week before winter break, but I didn’t get the chance. I couldn’t get the fact that he fought out of my mind. I knew it shouldn’t bother me, but it did. And not just that, but I was worried about him. Worried. I couldn’t believe it.

Furthermore, I was sure my face twisted up into a weird expression any time Polly mentioned Brent, as I struggled not to disclose the information he begged me to keep secret.

She hopped up onto the stool beside me, tracing invisible shapes on the countertop. I could tell immediately that something was wrong. “Polly,” I said, angling to face her. “What’s up?”

My best friend said nothing, gnawing furiously at her lip. Uh oh. This couldn’t be good.

“Polly.”

“I’m sorry, Annie,” she blurted out, tears dripping from her eyes. She flung her arms around me, holding me tight. “I’m so sorry.”

I blinked. “Um—what are you sorry about, exactly?”

She sniffed, mumbled something.

“I didn’t quite catch that.”

That time she pulled away and said, “I’m quitting.”

My whole world stopped for a moment, and everything seemed to tilt the wrong way. I squeezed my eyes shut, regaining my bearings.

Moving.

“You’re—what?”

“My relationship with Brent is getting serious,” she explained, twisting her fingers together nervously. “He doesn’t want me working here anymore, and I have to agree. With the discovered trust fund, and his own family assets, I—there’s nothing keeping me here anymore.”

The breath whooshed out of me at her words. Wow. That really stung. “I see,” I mumbled, looking away. “That’s good.”

Polly released an anguished cry. “You’re not happy.”

I kept my composure. “No. Since there’s nothing keeping you here anymore, I don’t see why you should stay.”

“Shit,” she breathed. “I didn’t mean that, Annie! It just came out wrong! God, I’m messing this up.”

I groaned, dropping my face in my hands. I was being a child. I should be happy for Polly, that she was another who survived Hoover’s, and was moving on in life. I shouldn’t be jealous just because I didn’t see myself ever being able to leave. “No, I’m sorry,” I apologized, turning back to her. “I’m so happy for you, Polly. Really. You deserve this.”

The older girl grabbed my hands, clasping them tightly. “I hate to leave you here. I wish I could take you with me. Maybe you could—”

I shook my head, silencing her. “This is your future,” I said. “Don’t let me interfere. But I do expect an invitation to the wedding when it comes, which knowing you guys will probably be sooner rather than later.”

Despite her watery eyes, Polly grinned. “Of course. You’ll be my maid of honor.”

“Damn right.”