Chapter Four

"Rachel," I said, gasping. I lost my breath. Two big unwanted announcements in the span of five minutes was way too much to handle. "Jake is your dad."

                "Wait, what?" Rachel asked, her face falling. "You -- your mother is dating my father?"

                I nodded slowly, feeling an overwhelming pain in my chest take over. I was speechless. Rachel, on the other hand, quickly regained her composter and opened up her purse, drawing out a long, skinny lip gloss. She unscrewed the lid and began applying it in the mirror.

                "When Dad told me that his new girlfriend had two daughters around my age, I was actually excited." She shared. "Not so much anymore."

                "I can't handle this." I said, gasping for air. I pulled open the bathroom door and sped out, back to the table, where Mom and Jake were laughing and Audrey was looking miserable.

                As I sat down, Mom asked, "Was that your father?"

                "Just checking in," I replied, trying to look unnerved. "I told him I'd call him back."

                "I ordered you a Dr. Pepper." Mom said. I picked up my glass and took a long sip.

                "And a Diet Coke for me, right?"

                I looked up, where Rachel stood at the empty seat next to me. She was all smiles, still glowing.

                "Rachel!" Jake exclaimed, standing up to give her a hug. "You've met Celia, and these are her daughters, Noelle and Audrey. Girls, this is my daughter, Rachel."

                Rachel shook hands with my mother before taking her seat. "Daddy, I go to school with Noelle. We have English and History together."

                "Oh, so you've already met?" Jake said happily.

                "We’ve known each other since kindergarten, Dad." Rachel informed him. "Remember how I told you there was a group of kids trying to get the principal to cancel the cheerleader's holiday dance performance? Well, Noelle is the head of that club."

                An awkward air fell over the table. Jake nodded wearily and attempted a subject change. "How was your outing, Rachel?"

                "Just lovely," Rachel gushed. "Allison and I -- you know Allison, Noelle. Allison Tyler!"

                Oh, I knew Allison Tyler alright. Rachel's blonde best friend.

                "We went out with Shane Hayes and Max Evans. They're on the senior basketball team, Daddy. We went out to The Grill, and I had the yummiest apple crumble. They're picking me up here in an hour and we're all going to a little get-together for the team."

                Jake smiled. "I'd like to meet these boys first, if that's not a problem, darling."

                "No problem, Daddy." Rachel said.

                I was shocked. Jake let his daughter go on dates with older boys he'd never met and go to crazy parties? Sometimes Mom doesn't even let me go to poetry readings!

                "Oh, Noelle!" Rachel squealed, looking over me with a false enthusiasm. "Why don't you come to the basketball team's party with me? There's room in Shane's truck! A few girls are sleeping over at my house afterwards. It's going to be so much fun!"