1. New York is New

A/N- Okay so I started writing this a few months ago and now I'm re-reading everything and cringing so hard. I know it's only been a couple months, but my writing has improved so much! So if you're a new reader, hang in there. The writing gets better eventually, I promise lol

      Alex's stomach lurched as the plane began its bumpy descent back down to Earth. He was not exactly used to airplanes yet. His stomach knotted and gave a little twist as the plane jolted, finally landing at the JFK Airport in New York. He was finally here! Or, more accurately, nearly-almost there. He would be there once he got off of the nauseating jet-fuel smelling aircraft. The line to get off of the plane slowly inched forward, as Alex gingerly arose from the rock-hard seat and stretched. The school had obviously wasted none of their expenses for him. He'd been confined in that stupid chair for over five hours now! He groaned inwardly as he walked out of the narrow walkway past the cabins to get off the damn thing. Stepping into the jam-packed airport, he searched for a man of the name George Washington. Well, technically, he was searching for a big sign with his name on it, as he had no idea what his new guardians looked like. Scanning around the mish-mash of bodies, smells, and voices, he saw not a single person that seemed to be looking for him. He quickly bounced up on his tip-toes, hoping for a better view. Nothing. Suddenly, he felt a firm hand grasp his shoulder, and he might have jumped a little. Or a lot. He let out a startled yell, causing some people to turn heads.

"Sorry to startle you, son. You must be Alexander Hamilton, correct?" A very tall man stated, looming over the already short Alex. Alex bristled at the nickname.
"Yes... Do you happen to be George Washington, sir?" Alex asked politely, even though he was still put on edge by the nickname. A deep laugh escaped from the man's lips.
      "Yes, I do so happen to be George Washington," He laughed again, his breath tickling Alex's nose. "But you don't have to call me sir. Coach will work." He paused, "You are going to be trying out for Football, right?" He asked, and raised a heavy brow in his direction.
      "Of course! I was a forward back at Nevi-" He was interrupted by yet another throaty laugh from Washington and a hard pat on the back.
      "Nononono! Football, not soccer!" the coach laughed again, making Alex feel a little uncomfortable. He had forgotten about how Americans called Football "Soccer". "Anyways, we should probably grab your luggage and go home, before Martha beats the crap out of me." He said, guiding Alex towards the luggage corral.
      "Actually," Alex said nervously tugging slightly at his backpack that had literally everything he owned inside. "This is all I have..." He finished and looked back at the floor. Washington looked a little dumbstruck for a second, but quickly shook off the feeling of pity for the young boy. He was not about to let this young man wander around New York with only a backpack's worth of clothes and such.

_____________________

Alex stared outside the window, watching the lampposts whiz past the windows of Washington's car.
"So Alex. Tell me about yourself." Washington casually stated as they drove down the traffic-infested road.
Not wanting to give off too much information with a man he just met, Alex just responded with a simple "My name is Alexander Hamilton, I'm seventeen years old, and I was born on St. Kitts and Nevis Island." He said blatantly, still looking outside the window. New York was so, well, new to him! Plus, he didn't want the conversation getting to awkward by bringing up the story of his childhood.

"Well, granted. I read your file, son. But what about your hobbies? Why did you want to come to America? Are you excited for your first day of school tomorrow? What is your family like? What was Nevis like? Do you have a special girl waiting back home?" Washington leaned over and studied the boy, as Alex grimaced at the nickname, that was- yet again- used.

Shit. Alex thought. He didn't want to make Washington feel any worse about his life.

"Well, I like foot- I mean, 'soccer', I'm an avid reader and writer, and there is nothing for me back on the island." Alex said, avoiding the subject of family entirely.