10. OctoBurr

Time flew past, and eventually, it was the end of October. Three very important things were happening in late October. First off, it was John's birthday on the 28th. Second off, the most important game of the year (other than homecoming) was coming up on the 30th. The battle of Yorktown. The original plan was for the game against New England High at home, but the field was undergoing construction at the time so the two high schools decided to hold the game at Yorktown Academy, down the road. Last, but certainly not least, Halloween was on the 31st, and the Schuyler-Revolutionary squad agreed to come dressed as the historical figures of Miranda, Ramos, Diggs, Onaodowan, Soo, Goldsberry, and Cephas-Jones from Alex's favorite musical "Miranda". He was really excited. He already got the costume and everything. Things were slowly going back to normal with the squad. John slept over at Hercules' apartment for a couple days and then went back home with his siblings, Eliza was as pure of a cinnamon roll as ever, John and Alex were even closer than before the "Phantom Incident", as they called it, Martha Manning had gone back to completely avoiding John, and Washington was as stressed as ever with the upcoming game. Alex was still close with Washington, despite him losing his position. It's kind of hard to hold a grudge on a guy that worked as his guardian.
"Hey, Mr. Washington?" Alex peeped his head into the coach's study.
"Alex? Come in." Washington quickly stuffed a couple files into his drawer.
"Do you mind if we go to Michael's later to pick something out for John's birthday?" Alexander remembered John raving on about a certain kind of expensive pencil brand at Michaels. Alex started working double shifts at the local Starbucks to get enough money to buy them for him.
"Oh, sure. Didn't Laf already get him something?"
"Yeah, He got him a sketch-book. I just wanted to get him something from me, you know?"
"I'm actually really busy working on game plays," Washington frowned. Life had gotten so much harder without Alex on the team. "Do you mind if Martha takes you?" Alex grimaced. The plays used to be his job.
"Not at all. Thanks da- sir." Alex dashed out of the study to go find Mrs. Washington. The coach smiled despite himself as he reopened the drawer and looked at the form.
___________________________

"These are the ones!" Alex grabbed a tin can of Prismacolors off of the shelf.
"Are you sure, Alex? That would be all the money you saved up at Starbucks..." Laf cautioned. He'd come along with Alex and Martha to Michael's.
"For John, it's worth it." Alex grinned and clutched the colors tightly. Lafayette grinned and rolled his eyes at le petit lion and dragged him to the cashier before he would try to buy the whole store for John.
"So, how's it going with your girlfriend?" Martha asked, trying to get. Alex to finally stop talking about John
"Who?" Alex asked.
"Eliza? The girl you've been dating since September?" Lafayette said.
"Oh yeah. We're doing great. Our monthiversary just passed." Alex said absentmindedly and handed the cashier the tin. The cashier quickly bagged the colors and handed it to the sleep-deprived teen.
____________________________

John tore back the wrapping paper on the tin box Alex had handed him. They were all crowded in the Washington's living room with a half-eaten cake that was laid forgotten on the kitchen counter.
"Oh my god, how did you afford these?" John practically squealed and clutched the tin.
"Oh, you know, I just turned over some seat-cushions," Alex said sheepishly.
"He literally worked double-shifts at Starbucks for two months and proceeded to turn the house upside down in search of change." George Washington rolled his eyes. John smiled and felt a warm blush creep up his cheeks. He enveloped Alex in a deep hug and inhaled his Old Spice cologne. He let the hug linger for a few seconds longer than it probably should have before he let go and stared deep into Alexander's amazing eyes. [A/N: Alia, I know you're reading this. Yes, I am writing Lams smut.]
"Thank you," John grinned, and reached for the big box from the Schuyler sisters.
"Why does it have holes?" John was about to shake it, but was stopped by Peggy putting her hand on his arm.
"Just open it," Peggy smiled.
"Is that a turtle?" John screeched and studied the tank carefully before lifting the turtle out of it's tank.
"Do you like it?" Eliza asked hopefully.
"I love it!" John gushed and scanned the turtle's shell. "Wood turtle, also known as Glyptemys insculpta?" John guessed and placed the turtle on the floor.
"Yes," Angelica breathed, dumbstruck of John's knowledge of turtles. The turtle crawled up to Alexander and proceeded to bite him deftly in the ankle.
"Agh! Bad Tobillo!" John yelled and picked him up. "Sorry about that, Alex."
"It's fine. What did you just call it? Tobillo? Ankle?"
"Yep!" John smiled happily and put Tobillo back in the large tank. He gave the sisters a bone-crushing hug. Alex felt a twinge of jealousy. Why didn't he think of getting John a turtle? Alex mentally kicked himself.
"But seriously you guys, thank you so much. The sketchbook, the excellently crafted hand-made beanie, Tobillo, and the prismas. Seriously, Alex. That was so thoughtful of you. You didn't have to do that for me," John hugged Alex again, this time with more force. He gripped Alex tight and he really didn't want to let go any time soon. But of course, he had to. He pulled away slowly and sat back down to eat more cake.
____________________________